Will we get perfect metal placement?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by killerkiwijuice, September 6, 2014.

1. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I'm not doing 1v1 (my rant has subsided) until there is a completely fair and perfect spherical position map for metal placement. There should be lobby options to enable perfect mex placement around a planet too.

I've died too many times from spawns. If this game plans to be competitive, this is where to start.
    Last edited: September 15, 2014
  2. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

The thing about this, is that it cuts both ways.
    Games with randomness can be perfectly competitive. It just comes down to doing enough rounds to assure that wins give a fair representation of skill over luck.

Take dota or hearthstone for instance, both have luck as a game mechanic, one in the form of critical strikes and miss chances, the other in the form of card draw, both are played competitively.

I do not see the issue.

Although to be fair, I'd like some way of creating 'symmetrical' planets.
    DeadStretch, cdrkf and mishtakashi like this.
  3. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

I believe it's planned.
    Even if it isn't, it can probably be modded in.
  4. killerkiwijuice

Asymmetrical is the opposite of fair. They need to be perfect.

If i have a single mex more than my opponent at spawn i have an unfair advantage.
  5. elonshadow

elonshadow Active Member

If you're not going to read my post, you probably shouldn't reply on it :D.

It's as if I've been talking about how orange oranges are, and you're shouting that pears are green. While it can be true, the two are entirely different topics.
  6. killerkiwijuice

? I read the entire post. Randomness of this kind is not competitive.
  7. killerkiwijuice

bump, this is becoming more relevant with the coming tournaments.
  8. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

For me, metal placement is perfect as it is, and any change in order to make it "fairer" would spoil this perfection. I love the uncertainty over how the initial spawns will go down, and I love fighting my way out of an obvious disadvantage. It makes any victory achieved all the more meaningful. Symmetry exists nowhere in the universe, and I find attempts to impose it anywhere distasteful. There is nothing more boring to me in RTS than watching people fight in symmetrical maps, and the anti-naturalness of symmetry is only going to look even more anti-natural if it is imposed at a planetary level (never mind at a stellar or galactic level).

That said, I guess people should have the option, if they want it. I fear however that if this option is allowed it will become standard for tournaments, making them "fairer" for the participants, to be sure, but that much more boring for the viewers (and for contrarian participants like me).

/2 cents
    DeadStretch and cdrkf like this.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It's been mentioned before by the devs, probably not of the highest of priority.
    zgrssd likes this.
  10. killerkiwijuice

The only way (or, a start at least) to make this game competitive is by making metal placement symmetrical.

SC2 has symmetrical resources, and look at that level of competitive.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  11. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

mirrored planets? im all for it
    Auraenn and squishypon3 like this.
  12. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It would make it more fair for the time being, to make commanders for-sure spawn with no metal in the immediate proximity.

That way, chances are, all metal is within a travelable distance. Also discourages spawn turtling, no matter how good the spawn, because you can't win that way, you have to pick distant metal points and decide "that is yours".

Also suprised, that modding hasn't made any work on a competitive biome generation. I am sure there is a way to generate mostly competitive planets out of sandbox biome or something.
    Last edited: September 14, 2014
  13. icycalm

icycalm Post Master General

Don't worry, dude, I am sure you'll get what you are asking for. I could very well be the only person playing the game who doesn't want it, so my opinion will not count for jack in the long run.
  14. bluestrike01

bluestrike01 Active Member

The spawn with lesser metal could have more metal nearby as the opponent, or a better defendable position.
    Full planet spawns is also an option so only the player can be blamed for picking his spawn point :p
  15. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

You'd need symmetrical terrain to go with your symmetrical metal layouts, and it would need to be aligned with perfect symmetry in the interplanetary layer as well.
  16. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I agree, its practically impossible to make fair maps and thats why there are barely any available. Uber should work on the system designer to make planets with all equal spawns be common instead of extremely rare imo.
    elodea likes this.
  17. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Then just generate symmetrical maps. Dont know why the current generation is so featureless(option wise).
  18. wstxbb

wstxbb Member

Agree, but not 100%symmetrical map. In a degree of random that not really matter to the win and lose is necessary for this game, I think. Or there won't be less difference each match. :)
  19. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I'll definitely still be using random generation when just playing the game. But I certainly understand why players want symmetrical generation, heck sometimes I get pissed off at how much more metal the enemy has than me...

Though that makes the win so much more awesome. <3
    Bsport likes this.
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

define perfect mex placement ...