Will this game ever catch on?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Discussion' started by vortexcontinuum, February 19, 2011.

1. vortexcontinuum

vortexcontinuum Active Member

I've been monitoring the steam stats, and it seems like there is a negative trend (though a loose one) regarding the number of players. I find it disgusting that so few people play a game so enjoyable, not to mention a good value. Is this game going to slowly die out or will it remain strong? Monday Night Combat has good staying power, but for some reason comparatively few people play it.
  2. Col_Jessep

Col_Jessep Moderator Alumni

That happens to every online game. People buy the game, go online, get pwned, keep trying for a few days and quit. ;)

I think MNC is doing okay. It's not breaking any records but there is a healthy population of players and they will increase with every DLC, sale or special event. After that they will slowly begin to decrease again.

PS: You can compare the number of players and special events for several games (including MNC) on Spooky's stats site:
    http://dgstats.insidesupcom.de/
  3. vortexcontinuum

I know, but other games I've been seeing relatively consistent numbers. More people really need to buy this.
  4. Col_Jessep

Prove it! All statistics I have seen for online gaming populations look almost identical. MNC is no different than hundreds of other online games. They are so similar that some companies can even predict those graphs and plan for sales and DLC accordingly.

Please don't base your 'facts' on vague feelings, look for hard data!
  5. s0cks

s0cks New Member

Still, I think Uber should throw up more advertising. Apart from it's first appearance on Steam (front page), I have not seen an advert for this game anywhere else. I'm pretty sure it is relying on word of mouth currently.

One of my steam friends has this game and has only made a measly $5k lifetime earnings. I think his rank is 64,000 and something. Which suggests there is probably only 50,000 active players? I dunno, just a guess.
  6. vortexcontinuum

I've looked at the caps every Saturday the past few weeks. Counter-strike is always around 75,000, Black Ops Multiplayer is always around 45,000, Borderlands is around 1000. During that time MNC went from 2000 to 1000, a staggering drop.

Besides that, the point still stands that this game deserves more people.
  7. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

how do you check how many people are playing a game?
    i tried the "members" page of the official group but that just shows how many are in-game, not how many are playing monday night combat

EDIT: nvm found it
    Last edited: February 20, 2011
  8. Col_Jessep

Those games or their predecessors have been around for ages. Take a look at this:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exponential_decay

Exponential decay 'feels' like there is hardly any decay after the rapid drop at the beginning. All you are experiencing is the harsh drop right after release. Every online game has this drop, MNC is no exception.

True.
  9. ohknee

ohknee New Member

Of course any Call of Duty game is going to have thousands of kids playing it like it's not the same crappy reiteration of the game before it. Counter-Strike is the core of competitive shooting, so it'll always have a huge player base despite how old and dull it is now.

It's something that can't be helped. People like big names and huge advertisement campaigns over legitimately good games by companies they never heard of. Chances are that this game won't catch on no matter what you do. It should always have enough people playing to find a game though, that's all that matters.
  10. vortexcontinuum

If it would be possible to "pull the numbers" or something, that would reassure me. I'm worried about my favorite game losing its popularity.
  11. nSmoothCritical

nSmoothCritical New Member

You have mainstream and indie, promotion can help, but low chance for any change there is.
  12. Providence

Providence New Member

It won't unless some of the classes get better looking models. A lot of players are attracted to MNC because of the assassin. Most games are going to have at least 2 sins on each team, sometimes 3+. Other classes simply need to have better appeal, mainly the support, gunner, and tank. Most of us will agree they look fine, but if you want this game to appeal to masses, the current models don't cut it.
  13. fischbs

fischbs New Member

This game will do just fine. It's too ******* good to flop.
  14. Mail

Mail New Member

Total bull, pardon my french. People don't like it because of the models or characters, and besides they're quite good. They like it for the gameplay, the competition and co-operation, the hilarious announcer and the clones' banter, they play it for the characters they get to be. They play it for the overall charming, albeit slightly sinister atmosphere. You don't buy a game for any one thing, it's the combination of things, and the dynamics between them.

The game will get more people when there's a sale. According to Valve's statistics, reducing a game's price by 75% for a limited time will net a game 40 times the revenue. This doesn't mean 40 times the sales, but forty times more overall cash pumping into the studio. Apparently this also effects people after the sale as well, as people keep buying it.
  15. vortexcontinuum

Your sig gives me seizures... :|
  16. Mail

Mail New Member

Really? It just jitters a bit on my end(two frames, no colour differences) and I've never got any complaints; what are you seeing? Or were you being facetious, and it wasn't an actual seizure.

Basically the only reason I have the sig is because I couldn't decide on an avatar. Also because I love homestuck.
  17. ohknee

ohknee New Member

Clearly what Monday Night Combat needs is more hats.
  18. vortexcontinuum

I didn't actually have seizures, no; but it hurts my eyes lol.
  19. RayHanley

RayHanley New Member

lol i hope your joking
  20. TemptedNZ

TemptedNZ New Member

I think any game where you can shout "I just juiced all over you" should be popular.
    Perhaps that's just me.