Will there seriously never be a full screen mode?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by heyhellowhatsnew, July 25, 2013.

1. heyhellowhatsnew

heyhellowhatsnew New Member

Please tell me what I heard was a troll and joke. Devs?
  2. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

You got trolled.

Pretty obviously. :mrgreen:
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's probably was misinterpretation of garat's answer about modal fullscreen mode. Actually PA will have full screen mode, but it will work differently, than it's usually working in video games.

PA designed to use multiple windows, so it's can't use traditional modal fullscreen, it's what's garat said about. Unfortunately some people don't understand what he mean and think it's mean "no fullscreen". It's not true.

I also posted some fullscreen how-to hack here:
    http://steamcommunity.com/app/233250/di ... 206248037/
    shootall likes this.
  4. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

There will be "fake" fullscreen. I don't intend on adding any resolution options though (as that's a remnant of crts).
    shootall likes this.
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I think you really need to clarify that non-tech guys will never see any difference between "fake" and traditional fullscreen. ;)
    shootall likes this.
  6. neutrino

"fake" fullscreen is a borderless window that covers the entire screen and runs at the same resolution as your desktop. This is the only kind of fullscreen that makes sense in an LCD monitor world.

"old school" fullscreen is the kind where you get a list of resolutions and we change the resolution of the screen to match. There is no reason to have this feature anymore because it doesn't really play well with the rest of the system.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I once read somewhere that it has performance advantages over a windowed fullscreen. Is that not true anymore? Or was it never true? Or is it such a small advantage that it doesn't matter anymore on todays machines?
  8. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

It does have performance advantages, but those tend to exist only for older versions of Windows, which doesn't do as good a job of giving the focused window draw priority. Linux has always rendered fullscreen stuff as a window without decorations, and recent versions of Windows have started doing something similar. In these cases, the draw resources prioritize the window more appropriately, so the performance difference is negligible. (I don't know as much about how OSX does it, but I should think it would be similar.)
  9. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

No, a fullscreen option is currently entirely out of the dev's scope. Their many years of experience and use of concurrent, modern-age technology and software does not include the creation of a fullscreen application.

I wish I had gotten first post on this, it would have been at least remotely funny then.
    shootall likes this.
  10. neutrino

There was a time when the drivers would refuse to fully clock the card unless in fullscreen mode. Those days are gone though.
    shootall likes this.
  11. Maruun

Maruun Member

Good to hear, i play most games in window mode but hated the borders. The "fake" or borderless window mode is a god sent.
    You can enjoy a game fully without the fear that the game might crash when you tab out to the desktop ect.
  12. SXX

SXX Post Master General

You can use "hack" from my post, so you can play any games without borders.
    Probably you need to fix it a bit for other games (e.g they don't need +2 pixels).
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

It's okay, Shroom, I chuckled.

In all seriousness, though, I do find that 'old school' full screen offers a performance boost almost universally.
  14. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

I love fake fullscreen, its so useful, and easy to tab out... Every game should have it...
  15. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

Well if you set to play in windowed mode and use AutoHotKey, technically they do.
  16. miliascolds

miliascolds Member

the ONLY advantage it has anymore afaik is you get no benefit from multi GPU not in fullscreen
  17. SXX

SXX Post Master General

It's totally not true for Nvidia SLI, it's can work in windowed more easily.

Have no idea about AMD CrossFireX, but can easily test it later, at least before it's not supported windowed mode.
  18. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

Funny thinking back when you had to configure resolution, and sounds, trying to adjust all your soundcard options.

Now i just wish that someone would invent intelligent gamma / brightness. I freaking hate when big companies even today, they just give you some stupid slider without any context, its like wtf? sure i can change it, but i have no idea of how the developers intended the game to look.

Would be nice if some day there will be a way to games to adjust your monitor settings. So when you playing a dark game, its as dark as they intended.
  19. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

That's what HDR can be used for.

That said, the computer has no idea how bright your screen is, or how good its colour reproduction is. That makes it a little difficult to auto-calibrate.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Well maybe someday that might be changed. Would be nice. Technically it sure is possible for the screen to tell the computer how bright it is.