Will planetary annihilation be coming to consoles

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by connerj15, May 21, 2013.

1. connerj15

connerj15 New Member

As far as we know planetary annihilation is going to be a computer game but what doesn't mean it can't come to consoles. If PA was on a console more people would buy it look at SC for a example more people bout it including me I didn't even about rts games until they where on consoles
  2. treign

treign Member

Great point, also valid. But there is much reason behind this: Mainly computing and network power. I know the XBOX and the Playstations look neat, but there is a good chance they havent the backbone to support a game on this kinda scale for some years to come. I could be wrong, but i doubt it. I wish i were cuz id love to play this on my iPad.
  3. lazlopsylus

lazlopsylus New Member

All signs point to no. Planetary Annihilation is very much a PC game, and probably would not work well on a console. Resources needed to make such an expansive galaxy with which players will wage war on are just not available on a console. Interfaces for RTS console games also tend to be hampered severely because of the limited functionality given by a controller versus the keyboard and mouse that PC gaming is built around. The resulting console version would just not be able to expand and embody the massive scale that Planetary Annihilation is intended to be, resulting in an inferior product.

So, in short, probably not. Or at least, that's what I think.
  4. connerj15

connerj15 New Member

there is a new Xbox and play station coming out you know
  5. KNight

KNight Post Master General

And they'll still have many of the same issues as we've already discussed in prior threads on this topic.

Mike
  6. kmike13

kmike13 Member

Look at Supreme commander 2.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Both of them will probably be slower than my current computer. Even though I only buy middle ranged hardware.

So yeah: No PA will most likely never be released for a console. It just doesnt fit.
  8. antillie

antillie Member

This is the best reason to not port PA to a console yet.

/thread
  9. exavier724

exavier724 Member

10. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Look at Supreme Commander 1.
  11. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

12. igncom1

:lol:
  13. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.
  14. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

raevn, i see you are also a Yahtzee fan, gj

Also, on console, NO. NO. NO. That's not where RTS's should be, ever. Consoles are good when camera control only needs to rotate around a single point (aka any game where you only control one unit. Even DotA-style games might work under console, but not RTS.
  15. igncom1

Halo wars worked ok, but at considerable UI and gameplay funk.

Not recommended.
  16. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Ahahahahaha. Good one.

PA could probably run as a phone app, since nothing important happens on the client end.
  17. mistercheif

mistercheif Member

The dev laughing was mainly due to SupCom 2 being used as an example. And then went on to explain that they could have gotten it to performance they were happy with if they could have forced an install to the hard drive. Which will be the standard for all games on the Xbox One, and probably the PS4 as well.

That being said, a console version should only be made after the PC version is fully complete, and only if Uber can get all their patches onto the console. Otherwise, nope.

And console RTS's do work, even though they are limited by controls and power. Sometimes it's nice to be able to lie down on the couch and play something with a controller, with a TV optimized UI (I do this with plenty of single player games with my laptop, but sometimes the UI's meant for a monitor are too small for the distance to the TV).

Though that does bring an interesting tangent that it would be excellent if, either through easy customization of UI values, such as size, location, and font size, or a preset specifically for it, there could be a way to have a UI scaled for use from a distance on a television, with a wireless keyboard and mouse.
  18. teradyn

teradyn Member

Console games are, and will forever be, inferior to PC games. Just take a look at what depth is available to PC games and compare that to console games. An even better example is what happens to a PC game's design when the decision is made to port it, or build it from the beginning, to work on consoles. Star Trek Legacy is an example of this.

I for one hope that PA is never considered for consoles in any way whatsoever. It would just cut the game off at the knees like so many others before it.

As a disclaimer, I do own a PS3, XBox 360 and a Wii. I think games can be made to fit those consoles and be fun, but would never want to play an RTS on one. That goes for FPS as well. The control of a sensitive mouse and keyboard combination is vastly superior to a console controller. There was an FPS game that was being considered for PC/Console multiplayer and the discussion centered around how much auto-aim for the console was needed to equalize the experience.

Planetary Annihilation is not the type of game that would work well or even remotely belongs on a console. Garat talks about this on his post here, in the thread linked to by Exavier724 above.
  19. antillie

antillie Member

And this is the second best reason to not port PA to a console.

Consoles have their place. It is a place between the action-adventure game coffee shop and the rehashed crappy shooters (spunkgargleweewee) dormitory. It is not even close to RTS boulevard.
  20. StRaven

StRaven New Member

You could also get a TV that you can connect to your computer via wireless and grab a wireless keyboard and mouse and lay on the couch, do it all the time for SOASE. Consoles are good for their purpose. RTSs, especially this scale, is not one of them.