Will metal planets be like metal maps on TA?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by sebovzeoueb, December 11, 2013.

1. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

All I can say that the current choice of implementation of metal planets is certainly an immersion breaker. Makes no logical sense that you cant extract metal from where you choose on an object created entirely out of metal, and thus they may as well have focused on a different planet type.
  2. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

So... lets say a metal planet is a death star. A giant building that shoots a laser. Not all buildings in the real world have pure metal as the one building component, the same can be said for the space station in space. Just because you put a metal sucking device somewhere on the planet or object doesn't mean it has metal in all parts of construction.

It would make more sense if the metal extractors were found in lines across the planet instead of randomly scattered to convey that the planet was crafted to have metal deposits for emergency purposes.

If there is a want for a metal planet to have metal placement everywhere there will be a game mod to fix that thirst. For now it de-balances the game if there is an infinite metal planet that people rush to get to. PA shouldn't be about who can rush to this planet to win.
  3. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I see you're new to the forums, and welcome!

This gets asked and answered from time to time. You should do a search before posting in accordance with forum rules.

There will be metal planets, but they won't be like TA where metal extractors can be placed anywhere. If that were the case, the only winning strategy in PA would be the first person to get to the metal planet. It'd just be dumb.

In the future, do a search. Look at some of the concept art. You'll get an idea.
  4. beer4blood

beer4blood Active Member

I'm against trench only combat, pretty lame game play is all I see.....
  5. sebovzeoueb

sebovzeoueb Active Member

Thank you! I have been lurking on and off for a while, but this is my first actual post. I did actually use the search feature as I say in the first line of my post, but was unable to find this subject even though I was fairly sure it must have been asked a few times. What search terms would you have suggested?

I am more and more seeing the logic of not having pure metal mining planets, and I'm sure someone will mod the good ol' metal map for nostalgia's sake.
  6. krakanu

krakanu Well-Known Member

I'm sure you can expect a total conversion mod that recreates the game in TA's image as well as possibly a Supcom one (or at least mini mods that add in much liked features from them). So I wouldn't worry too much about certain features from those games missing.
  7. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

The only way pure metal planets would actually work is if both players spawned on a metal planet. Even then, that'd just be WAAAAY too much economy for the game to be very viable. It'd be like the Alpha all over again – when you could build 300 metal extractors on the same spot not on a metal spot.
  8. SleepWarz

SleepWarz Active Member

Idea. What if areas of high subterranean current were the 'reason' not to be placing extractors all over. And should you try, upon completion they overload and explode.