Will gas giants get balanced?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by takfloyd, October 20, 2014.

1. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

The way it is now, a gas giant in a system means that the entire game will focus on fighting over it with thousands of Avengers. The team that achieves control over it almost invariably wins. This means that gas giants are rarely seen because Avenger-only wars aren't very exciting.

It really wouldn't be hard to fix this. Removing the energy production from the overpowered Jigs would go a long way - I really don't get the idea behind having them produce both metal AND energy.

Of course, more orbital combat units is something everyone would also like to see, but I assume that isn't a priority right now. It would also be nice to see some kind of effective large-scale counter to gas giants, since they're pretty much immune to the superweapons in the game.
    raphamart likes this.
  2. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

As boring as Avenger duels are, it's worth noting three things: one, nukes can kill orbital units, particularly avenger clusters; two, Avengers can be dropped anywhere on a gas giant, so defensive lines as they are commonly understood can be avoided almost entirely when invading; and three, gas giants are big enough that one can easily stake out a foothold somewhere.

Having gas giants produce metal is the weirdest thing, I'd argue, not energy. Either way, they could stand to have some spice added.
  3. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

It's never a problem to "invade" a gas giant, the problem is that once a team gets control over one, they can expand so rapidly and exponentially thanks to the influx of resources that the planet will be covered with hundreds of Jigs and thousands of Avengers in a very short time. An invasion at that point doesn't make a difference because players stuck on smaller planets can't keep up with the Avenger production, and killing even a couple dozen Jigs barely dents the economy of the controlling team. Also, Avengers generally spread out enough that nukes aren't cost-effective at all. At that point, the only way to win is to snipe the opponents' commanders.
  4. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Its gas. You cannot balance gas :p

Just look at gas prices! Freaking hell XD
    ace902902, Geers, Nicb1 and 4 others like this.
  5. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

actually what you just said is ironic as hell. considering how much resources a gaz planet does give it's revenue should be dirt-low.
  7. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Update on this topic.

One of my friends managed to trick the system editor into letting him make a really small gas giant, like radius 400 or something.

And it was a lot of fun to play on! Even if it doesn't make sense from a realistic perspective, it was balanced well for the game. Doesn't fit an endless amount of Jigs so controlling it was not instant win.

Unfortunately, it fixed itself when the system editor was opened the next time, and he couldn't recreate it.

But lowering the minimum size of gas planets definitely seems like a good idea.
  8. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

or decrease the "relative size" by decreasing cost and yield of jigs by 50%
    pieman2906 and eukanuba like this.
  9. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

We need another orbital combat unit.
    corteks, pieman2906, lafncow and 4 others like this.
  10. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Or may I suggest something more radical: Get rid of avengers altogether (Which would probably require a revamp of the entire orbital system)
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

... such as?
  12. brianpurkiss

Anything.

Large frigate with lots of guns. Small light attack fighter. Sniper fighter. Pick any spaceship that tickles your fancy and stick it in there.

Having only one offensive orbital unit makes Orbital gameplay very binary and boring. Battles are mostly determined by whoever has the most units, which is bad.
    Remy561 likes this.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Giant sandworms.

Er... In space.
  14. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

To be specific, the obvious thing we are missing is a large orbital-to-orbital battleship that counters Anchors and can take some fire from Umbrellas, but has a slow firing rate so it can be overwhelmed by large numbers of Avengers.

At the same time, make Avengers weaker so they can't efficiently fight Anchors themselves anymore.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

for this particular game other than transports and aircraftcarriers there is no space"ship" that tickles my fancy ...
    if there start to be spaceships people will begin to ask why are there no spaceships that attack ground ... and then it gets silly ... i have no interest in this games endgame becoming orbital vs surface in terms of mobile units ...
    uber has to try and fix gas giants without going starttrek/starwars style spacebattles ...

spacewhales? cool!
    Last edited: October 24, 2014
  16. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

wut.

No. I want spaceships.
  17. LeadfootSlim

LeadfootSlim Well-Known Member

Orbital combat does need some work, I agree. But I don't know what, if anything, Uber has planned for new units in the future. I'm not sure how I'd feel about straight-up Orbital space navy, though.

I've been finding that gas giants work much better in FFA and team games; in a 2v2v2, for example, it's common to see each team get presence on a gas giant - there's plenty of room to go around - and then get in a mexican standoff as nobody can commit to attacking one refinery-base without exposing their own to attack.
  18. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Aside from superweapons, the endgame already IS orbital-based though, with ground battles only happening after an orbital invasion sets up a teleporter. Regardless of what was the original intention, orbital is a massive part of the game and needs to be fleshed out more. Which will also make gas planets more interesting to play with.
    corteks and Pendaelose like this.
  19. brianpurkiss

So you're fine with space combat coming down to whoever has more Avengers? That's binary and boring. Yes, there are Anchors, but those are defensive structures and don't really count.

Would you be fine with only having Bolos as the only ground unit?
    Pendaelose likes this.
  20. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

People suggesting space boats really rustles my jimmy's.

We have combat shuttles, and laser satellites, so all we really need is a siege type unit for killing laser satellites.

Also, have y'all ever even tried using a small cluster of SXX on a enemy army? It's nuts!
    MrTBSC and kayonsmit101 like this.