Will gameservers be rentable?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Dedicated Server Discussion' started by dopy, January 19, 2011.

1. dopy

dopy New Member

As the title says, will gameservers for this nice game be rentable on sites like multiplay, plugpayplay, gameservers.com?
  2. grimbar

grimbar New Member

You're better off asking someone from those sites.
  3. longshot902

longshot902 New Member

They will probably not. Unfortunately MNC server side doesn't behave like other dedicated server engines. Most games have built in reserved slot functionality. However, MNC, as of now, doesn't support this - it probably could as it uses Unreal but it's tricky to incorporate this and I'm sure Uber has other things to work on before reserved seating. (We have asked and they are looking into it - it's up to Uber).

Gameservers.com will most likely not offer servers as this game is a steam pc game only. They have said in the past that they offer games that are not platform dedicated to steam. If MNC ports to a non-steam client, then maybe but as of now I wouldn't count on it.

Dustoff, the admin for the MNCservers.com dedi's, has been working on getting a reserved system into the works. But until I'd say just pick a server with no-one on and get your friends to join. (I know that you can request private servers, and quite frankly if you emailed any of the server admins they could help with a private one, if you wanted slots for a team.)

Hope this answers your question.
    Last edited: January 22, 2011
  4. faits

faits New Member

If gameservers.com doesn't offer servers for steam-exclusive games, why do they offer tf2 servers? http://www.gameservers.com/game_servers/team_fortress_2.php
  5. longshot902

longshot902 New Member

That's because you can install tf2 without steam. All of valve's games don't require steam to play. They recommend you do use steam. But tf2 doesn't require the steamworks architecture to run.

That and TF2 uses hldsupdatetool - so they don't have to actually own the game to run a server. MNC doesn't have a separate, stand-alone solution yet.
  6. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

LOL yeah, games that aren't cross platform on a pc?

Steam/Valve games are one of the easiest games to host, and one of the most popular servers purchased.

I spoke to nuclear fallout servers my host for my machine, they also sell individual gameservers. They haven't had a chance to try beta, but may host the game. And if they host, their competitors may look into it as well.

Call of duty 4, and other COD games require you to own the game. However Game server providers are still hosting it.
  7. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

This. Times ten.
  8. dustoff

dustoff New Member

Right now there are a few things holding back server rentals , these should be worked out in time.

While I am not to going to rent out servers for various reasons I do have a place on my web site where you can request the private use of any of my servers .
  9. GossamerSolid

GossamerSolid New Member

So wrong I cannot begin to say how dumb your post is. You have to have Steam to Install and Run TF2 at any time. The only way to do it without is to get a pirated copy that won't work on any VAC server anyways.

The real reason gameservers won't offer this right now is because the Devs have no provided anybody a real way to get a dedicated server. Until then you won't see it on many GSPs.
  10. longshot902

longshot902 New Member

That is a little insulting. As I stated, if you want to run tf2 without steam you can - it's up to you if there are any legal implications. EVERY VALVE CAME CAN BE PATCHED TO RUN WITHOUT STEAM. is that clear? And who cares that you can't play on servers without vac. Make your own - not hard.

Besides this thread is about dedicated servers. You do not have to have steam running to host a tf2 dedicated server. Gameservers.com wants games that do not require a program/software to run a game - such as tf2. They also prefer if the game could be run on a linux as it is streamline - because that's all Gameservers.com wants. They want the least resource hogging game they can get. And running steam along side a game server is "wasted resources"

But, since the new patch for MNCdoesn't require steam to run anymore... maybe we'll see rent-able servers. I don't wish to sound irritated, but please if you have something to say or an argument to make, please do it kindly. I'd like to thing MNC players have some class.
  11. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

^YES THAT

You can run TF2 servers without even owning the game. No steam login required. And no it is not illegal. You used to have to set login names as a parameter in the HLDS update tool, but that is not the case anymore.

When you download server files your downloading SRCDS.exe which is the Source dedicated server, as well as the required files for tf2. You aren't downloading the actual game executable. Heck even if you got the .exe elsewhere and put it in with the server files it WOULD NOT WORK.

All of this is true for:
    Alien Swarm
    Counter Strike: Source
    Day of Defeat: Source
    Half Life 2: Deathmatch
    Team Fortress 2
    Left 4 Dead 1 and 2
    Garry's Mod
    Killing Floor
    + a bunch of mods

I have been running various source servers on dedicated systems for 1 1/2 years, this is how things are done.

Now if you want to run game servers using the GUI tool (which is just plain stupid unless your running it off your desktop) then yes, you need to have steam to download the GUI tool, and have said games installed. When you download the game via steam, you get the server files, and client files all wrapped up into one install.

Anyone who's ever hosted ANY valve game using the command line would know this.
  12. GossamerSolid

GossamerSolid New Member

Since you both have a hard time reading english, I'll re-quote what he said:

He said NOTHING about TF2 servers. He was saying you can install TF2 without steam. Of course I know you can install source engine servers without owning the game.
  13. longshot902

longshot902 New Member

Can you read english? The answer was in DIRECT relationship with the idea of dedicated servers. I didn't think I had to state I was talking about dedicated servers as we are in a "dedicated server thread" and talking about dedicated servers. My apologies.
  14. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Maybe you should get your sentence comprehension checked
  15. longshot902

longshot902 New Member

Maybe I should. I don't wish to get into an argument on this forum as I have other stuff to do that takes more of my energy. Sorry if people are getting confused. I take back everything I have stated as it is leading to misguidance and miscommunication. Sorry GossamerSolid for being irritated at your response, I didn't type clearly and you were simply correcting me. My apologies.
  16. jeeringsole

jeeringsole New Member

Are we seriously doing this? lol You guys are acting like a bunch of 12 year olds. Installing the game tf2 without steam running is absolutely absurd, and this is a thread talking about dedicated servers... so do the math xD.

This is a note form the president of Nuclear Fallout servers. "It's a game that I definitely have plans to look into, though I have not yet had the chance. I hope to be able to do so very soon."

w00t
  17. Stryfe

Stryfe New Member

I opened a thread on Gameservers.com's forum asking if they would have rentals available. The response I got was they would only consider it if there was an official source to download the server files separately or if it were available via hldsupdatetool.

I'm hoping one of those two things happens soon.
  18. Ramoni3D

Ramoni3D New Member

We're already offering servers at i3D.net. As others have stated, the current state of the servers are less than ideal, but the servers work + you can manage them :)
  19. GossamerSolid

GossamerSolid New Member

Standalone servers will be offered by hldsupdatertool soon according to devs. So I'd assume gameservers.com would start hosting them.

If I had some extra overhead left on my box, I'd rent 1 server out to somebody for cheap, but I'm pretty much using all my resources right now.
  20. Stryfe

Stryfe New Member

Where are your servers located? I noticed your prices are in Euros. Do you have MNC servers available in North America?