Will galatic wars be playable on *private* dedi servers?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by ghargoil, September 7, 2012.

1. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

This might be a dumb question, but will galactic wars be playable on *private* dedicated servers? e.g., I can set one up on our gaming group's linux server, and the n-of-us can play that over the course of a few days or week or month?

If that hasn't been discussed/confirmed -- can we have that feature? It would be a big deal for me, and I suspect, many others.
  2. Spooky

Spooky Member

The description certainly sounds like it will be possible.
  3. erastos

erastos Member

Given that we have confirmation of private offline LAN games and solo play for galactic war it would really surprise me if we couldn't play galactic war offline.
  4. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Yeah, it says you can play locally (on LAN?), but what about having a server on the net? One that plays the Galactic War with separate stats etc.. than the main servers?
  5. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yes. That's the idea. It's also the single player so it makes sense right?
  6. renrutal

renrutal Member

Could we also buy PA private servers/galactic wars from you guys? SaaS economic model.
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Interesting idea anyway.
  8. thedbp

thedbp Member

Greatest thing to be told on this forum. :lol:
  9. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Hi, thanks for the answer!

So, just to clarify -- Galactic war can be played:
    • single-player,
    • on LAN,
    • on private (self-hosted) servers,
    • on Uber Entertainment servers,
    • and possibly rented from Uber Entertainment?

Thanks!
  10. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Okay, this is looking to pretty damn cool :D

But I have one last question, that list says you can play Online vs. Skirmish AI, and you can play Offline vs. Skirmish AI...

But can you play Online vs. Other Players?

I'm asking because, while I'm not the best at strategy, even if your AI code is hundreds of thousands of lines long, it's still going to have a limited set of strategies and and adaptable protocol. AI can *look* smart, but no matter what, an AI is stupid unless it can learn.

I figure it would have to require a pretty organized sub-community to set up and play something like this, but still, having a game-mode including a live galaxy map, the ability to observe on-going battles, being able to join a super-faction and fight for a team, etc. etc. etc. would be pretty cool.
  11. bathtub

bathtub Member

Wouldn't online play be a tad redundant if you couldn't play against other people?