Who has won Galactic War on Absurd difficulty?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by metabolical, June 16, 2014.

1. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

If you have, tell us your story...
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Challenge Accepted. I am off tomorrow, I will work on doing that. I will slightly cheat, trade my turrets for 4 t1 tech factories at start, allow myself more tech useable from start, technically it is a part of vanilla PA so it is allowed no?
  3. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

I bought this game to have fun, not for my nose to bleed alright?
  4. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Started a largest size, hardest difficulty galactic war today.

First time I'd played in a while and sorian's AI and the new balance took me slightly by surprise the first match I played, by which I mean the AI T1 bomber rushed me into paste.
    Restarted, I've now won a couple of games without much difficulty having got some good tech early (efficiency tech, commander build arm and the vehicular combat one). I've yet to have any boss fights though so I'll keep you posted.

So far it seems to be not that hard for an experienced player, but we'll see if that changes as I progress.
  5. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

An even harder difficulty level?!?
    challenge_denied__by_stevesjobes-d4ye6e7.jpg
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  6. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

7. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Would love to try it, but even on hard I sometimes get planet locked. As in I have huge armies but the sim gets too low for me for it to be playable and then I don't have the patience to break through their defences. Guess I need to be quicker... :p
  8. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

I'm afraid it's too hard. Impossible to finish.

Someone prove me wrong.... please?
  9. tohron

tohron Active Member

I won on Nightmare - and from a brief look at Insane, it doesn't appear to have gotten that much harder.

I was using the BACON commander - for some of the battles, I had to use the speed hotfix mod so the commander actually got the +200% movement it's supposed to have, but in other battles I didn't need it.
  10. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Get good
  11. scathis

It got harder when renamed to "Absurd"
    melhem19 and cwarner7264 like this.
  12. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I'm slowly streaming myself making it through every one of the difficulties.

Right now I'm on Uber.
  13. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I think a lot of the more skilled players haven't really been taking GW that seriously. I'm not a top player, but challenge accepted.
  14. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Not a chance. Didn't ever win more than a single match in succession, but found several issues with the AI.

Changing sides, filing bug reports for Sorian now. If I don't win, nobody else shall.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  15. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

I tried it; destroyed within 13 minutes.:(
    Last edited: June 17, 2014
    Remy561 likes this.
  16. trialq

trialq Post Master General

This was on the PTE a week ago. Didn't do the Uber sized galaxy because at the time the deck was bugged.

epic_absurd_vehicle.png

I've started two Uber sized nightmare wars, using these: loadoutss.png
    Stored army in particular is difficult, you start with 25,000 metal and can't build mex. I don't expect to finish either (won 3 with the ashes loadout so far, 5 with the stored army loadout).
  17. scathis

Sorry, moded games don't count. Who knows if you inadvertently made something easier.
    PeggleFrank and lokiCML like this.
  18. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I'm playing my first ever galactic war, with the basic commander, with the biggest galaxy size, on 'absurd' difficulty.

After my initial loss I've won a couple of games, but I'll let you know how the bosses treat me, I'm not one to give up so I should get there eventually. I'm hoping that by release the highest difficulty level really will be nigh on impossible, even for top PVP players.

I must say, having not played for a while the AI really has taken a turn for the formidable. Even though I'm currently winning without TOO much trouble it just feels a lot 'cleverer' to play against.

EDIT: and my mods are still broken, so I'm playing totally vanilla PA. I'm rather looking forward to this now, I think it might get quite interesting...
    lokiCML likes this.
  19. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Nice try :p

The one I've completed was unmodded. You're right that the two modded loadouts aren't as hard as they appear (you can build all tech), although in some ways they are harder than intended (not being able to build mex breaks sub-commanders). More than once I've had to reclaim a world of forest to laser snipe a commander, that was fun.

I'll make some loadouts which provide no benefits, only drawbacks. It is much more fun when you are struggling to win. I wouldn't mind a difficulty level that is assumed nearly unbeatable, there has to be an everest ;)
    lapsedpacifist likes this.
  20. tohron

tohron Active Member

Just something I'm wondering - does Absurd difficulty make it impossible to unlock new slots? So far, I haven't got a single extra slot from any of the galaxies I've started in. If this is the case, I'd recommend against it - it's one thing to make the AI harder, but another to start removing major game mechanics.