Who can build the most units?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Raevn, December 31, 2014.

1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Looking at PA Stats, the current highest number of units built is 75,755 (http://pastats.com/stats).
    That's a big number, however that it was a long time ago (27/04/2014). A lot has changed in that time, and we now have offline servers, so people should be able to bring far more grunt to bear.

The challenge is therefore laid down: Who can build the most units? Post your system details & PC specs too.
    xankar, drz1, Remy561 and 2 others like this.
  2. Deletive

Deletive Member

I'll try this out when I upgrade my computer a bit more.

What are your PC specs?
  3. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

By units built, does that mean units built over the whole match, or active at one time?

In the latter case, I'm wondering if a transport with 100,000 transport capacity would negate the sim load issues... (At least until you decide to do a mass unload for laughs and servers begging for mercy.)
  4. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Active at one time. I think we should also say UI mods only (or at least list what mods you have running, since it may be nice to see the utter limits too).

I haven't attempted the challenge myself yet, but here are my specs:

Intel Core i7-2600
    16GB RAM
    7.1TB HDD
    1GB AMD Radeon HD 6870
    Windows 10 Enterprise Preview
    Last edited: December 31, 2014
    Deletive likes this.
  5. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

I remember this day, such memories.
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

We are allowed to use avatar factory correct? also when doing offline games PAStats cannot record your numbers, so we cant get good results based on offline games. @raevn how would you like us to record?
  7. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

PAstats.
  8. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

The aim is to stress the engine, not so much adhere to strict gameplay, so yeah avatars are fine.

Hmm, I didn't realise PAstats didn't work with a local server. I guess screenshots showing unit counts in some form, and we'll just have to trust it. What is the reason for PAstats not working for local servers? Is it something that is planned for the future?

Online games are fine too, but I don't think we'll see as good results.

Edit:
    Hehe, I see this:
    upload_2014-12-31_22-41-14.png

and can't help but think of this:
    Dictyostelium_Aggregation.JPG
  9. trialq

trialq Post Master General

Not a competitive entry, but here's 30k dox:
    count_30k.jpg
    It crashed soon after this.
    • i5-4750
    • 8GB 1600 mhz ram
    • GTX 760
    • SSD
    • Local server
    • No mods
    • 5x eco
    • 821 bot factories
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The offline server doesn't directly present me with a lobbyId like online games do, so offline games are missing the primary key that I am using to manage games. I've been too lazy to fix that so far, as I am not even sure how to fix it correctly and since I figured people who play offline probably want to play in privacy vs some AIs I never bothered to look at it again.
    Though if you like hackery you can setup a dedicated server on your own computer and use that, my code for management of those servers creates a lobbyid.
  11. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

How'd they get in that line? =o
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Also just so everyone knows I'd suggest building something other than the dox, it has more tris than the ant.
  13. trialq

@squishypon3
    I had fun building the factories in a line.

I assumed that the model wasn't drawn if hidden by the strategic icon, is that right? I chose dox as they pack small, grouping them manually every 5k or so away from the factories to try and ease the load on pathing (again, assuming pathing is a concern).
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

It's not really depending on "hidden by icon", it just stops rendering it at a certain zoom level I think.
    Pathing should not be of concern if the units are idle and not moving.
  15. trialq

@cola_colin
    That makes sense. I kept moving them away from the factories because I was worried about the shuffling when a new unit rolled off, so build some, move them, repeat. Probably not helpful, although a second run where I don't do that appears to be going slower.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Wouldn't fireflys be a better option as air ignores pathing?
  17. trialq

@cdrkf
    Possibly, although they would have to be moving constantly to remain in the air and ignore pathing?

I get to a certain point and PA crashes when the planet with many units is selected, however the server lives and I can reconnect. The server ram usage is slowly creeping up, handily the PA crash has freed up ~800MiB after I've reloaded PA. Maybe I can hit 50k, probably not.
  18. Geers

Geers Post Master General

BRB gonna go ask Swinburne if I can use their supercomputer for a bit.
    Raevn likes this.
  19. trialq

50k is my new result with dox. It was grinding slowly to a halt, it might have hit 60k in many hours time but screw that.
    count_50k.jpg
  20. xankar

xankar Post Master General

(update: 1/6/2015) Bleh, completely forgot about this. Once again i'll give this another go as time permits.
    I'll give this a shot in a few minutes. ----> I'll give this another go tomorrow since it was pretty fun. I think I'll be able to get more than 50k with an idea I have in mind. Although only time will tell. I'll post my specs tomorrow, goodnight.

Edit: So my game crashed once I reached 27,000 tanks and 8000 Astraeus
    (Once again I forgot PA stats, and there's no proof that I had as many units as I stated above, sorry. I'm sure you can take my word for it :rolleyes:)

Here's some screens:
    The Astraeus covered half of a 1000 radius moon :eek:[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Last edited: January 6, 2015
    igncom1 likes this.