Which RTS Game do you most identify with

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by primewar, September 4, 2012.

?

Which RTS Game do you most identify with (Post up to link a name to a vote)

1. Total Annihilation

26 vote(s)
    21.3%
  2. Total Annihilation (Modded - post which mod you use)

6 vote(s)
    4.9%
  3. Total Annihilation 2: Kingdoms

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Supreme Commander

7 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Supreme Commander 2

3 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. Forged Alliance

51 vote(s)
    41.8%
  7. Command and Conquer (Post which version)

11 vote(s)
    9.0%
  8. Starcraft 2

4 vote(s)
    3.3%
  9. RTS not listed (Post it, i'll add it here)

14 vote(s)
    11.5%
  1. primewar

primewar Member

Lets give the Dev team an idea of what our RTS experiences are. I'm limiting the poll to 1 game because each game is different and if you choose the game that you most identify with, it will give the Dev's an idea of what you might like or don't like.

As an added boost, feel free to post which other games you have played and liked / didn't like. I'm noticing a whole lot of players that are posting thoughts that are incredibly Supreme Commander focused, even though the dev team has explicitly stated they are taking a TA approach. Since this game is going to be influenced by the fans here, lets give them a bit more of an idea of what our background is: i.e. a player who has never played TA likely won't cite mechanics from TA when they discuss game mechanics.

Personally, I have all of the games listed on this poll so far, but the only one I still play is TA with the v.4 patch.

Starcraft 2 added to pool
    Last edited: September 4, 2012
  2. sergiomoura

sergiomoura New Member

3. thefirstfish

thefirstfish New Member

4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

SupCom:FA was one of the most important things in some of my summer-vacation back when I still went to school.
    Was such a good time ...
  5. acey195

acey195 Member

C&C Gen Zero-Hour, Modded that for 4 years.

I would say Age of Empires (1&2) as well, but that is not really the kind of RTS PA is going for (which is good, though a mod adding some of those mechanics would be interesting)
  6. nateious

nateious Active Member

Total Annihilation, I picked modded but not because of any one mod but because of the huge number of them and the great variety they offered.
  7. Spooky

Spooky Member

That's a tough one. Total Annihilation will always be in my heart, but I spent much more time with Supreme Commander and Forged Alliance. For technical reasons, so to speak.
  8. Frostiken

Frostiken Member

In terms of most time spent? Probably Dawn of War, actually.
  9. warcorer

warcorer New Member

SupCom: Forged Alliance was and still is an amazing game, with mods that still keep it going. But you really need to add ZeroK to the list it is quite amazing as well, and more similar to TA.
  10. ledarsi

ledarsi Post Master General

Zero K needs to be on this list.

And for me, I am halfway between TA and FA. However I think I will have to go with TA.
  11. nlspeed911

nlspeed911 Member

Eh...

Dawn of War was... Nice, but certainly not the best (edit: this isn't even an option, lol).

I grew up with Command & Conquer, and it truely is awesome (especially Red Alert 2 / Yuri's Revenge and Generals / Zero Hour), but it has gone downhill fast, and the crap EA is spewing now (4, the new F2P thingy)... Ugh. Horrible, terrible, disgusting.

I reinstalled Supreme Commander a week or so ago and I'm having a blast again. Awesome game - I'd definitely say this is (one of?) the best RTS I've played.

I've never played Total Annihilation (sue me :p). I do, however, also like Supreme Commander 2. Sure, it's a bit... Easier, 'friendlier', I guess. But unit movement is much better. It has its ups and its downs, but I like it about as much as the original I guess (I do miss the huge assymetric maps though).

I've never been a fan of Starcraft - but I've never played it either, so I can't really say that. :p
  12. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Total Annihilation for life.
  13. thorneel

thorneel Member

Zero-K hands down.
  14. boolybooly

boolybooly Member

15. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

For the way it made me feel as a 17/18-year-old, Total Annihilation. And for taking Westwood's crown away and never giving it back, and for making this particular sub-branch of RTS possible, Total Annihilation.

For the blowing my mind with what TA would be today, Supreme Commander. For actually playing day-to-day, Forged Alliance. There are things that Total Annihilation did better, but to actually pick up today and play, Forged Alliance is much better. I don't think you can disagree with that unless you are a slave to your nostalgia (or you like clicking lots of things over and over again, in which place I shall direct you to 1) Starcraft, and 2) the new mouse shop).
  16. RCIX

RCIX Member

SC2 all the way. I liked supcom but it felt more like Economic Combat Simulator 2008 than an RTS =/

(/unpopularopinion)
  17. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

You know that SupCom1's eco system is entirely identical to Total Annihilation's, right?
  18. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

I voted CnC, but Rise of Nations was the RTS for me.
  19. shinseitom

shinseitom Member

When I think RTS, it goes in this order:

1. Starcraft (first rts)
    2. TA: Kingdoms (intro to larger-scale battles)
    3. TA (awesome)
    4. SupCom (newer awesome)
    5. SupCom FA (bit better playing awesome)

I picked FA, even though it's #5, because it's the closest to my perfect game out of any I've played so far. When I compare RTS games to some base, it's the one I use as the "ideal" for macro scale games. Company of Heroes is my pick for micro scale.

It's interesting that my two favorite RTS games were published by THQ. Neat coincidence.
  20. leftnoob

leftnoob New Member

Age of Empires 2 believe it or not.