Which game do people want this to be "based on"

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by kmike13, December 18, 2012.

?

Which game should PA be based off of.

1. TA

21 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Supcom

19 vote(s)
    30.2%
  3. Supcom 2

3 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Nothing

20 vote(s)
    31.7%
  1. kmike13

kmike13 Member

I've seen so many posts saying that PA is based off of TA not supcom, and supcom not TA. I just want to see what the community thinks PA should be based off of, if any.
    Last edited: December 18, 2012
  2. nightnord

nightnord New Member

This forum audience is a tiny fraction of all KS backers, so results of almost any poll are unreliable =)
  3. kmike13

kmike13 Member

But it Is the largest fraction that I could probably find that are interested on this game, and This poll is aimed at anyone who wants to see this game made, not just KS backers
  4. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Poll is missing the forth (most important option):

• Nothing, let it be made in its own standing.

I didn't pledge to get a sequel. I pledged to get Planetary Annihilation.
  5. elexis

elexis Member

Because *that* is totally the reason that the any forum poll is unreliable. :roll:
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'm not comfortable being forced to choose between TA and FA(because lets face it, SupCom2 doesn't deserve the SupCom name).

While I might be more familiar with FA, I'm not blind to the fact that it has many opportunities for improvement and by the same token TA wasn't perfect either.

We need to dissect both games to find the elements that work, then dissect those and see if they integrate well not only with each other but also with the new elements introduced for PA.

Don't look at things in such a contrasting manner.

Mike
  7. elexis

elexis Member

What exactly is there anyway that the FA/Supcom1 camp and the TA camp argue over anyway? The seem to agree on most game-play discussions except for how many tiers they should have (and that particular thread stopped being about tiers a long time ago).

EDIT: fixed typo.
    Last edited: December 18, 2012
  8. KNight

FA is just the better Version of SupCom1.

Mike
  9. elexis

elexis Member

Typo, meant FA/Supcom and TA
  10. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I don't want it to be based on anything. It should be unique.

However, it would be outright stupid to deny these games exist, as the people who work on PA worked on them, and they even stated outright that this experience is why they only needed 900k for the game.
  11. kmike13

kmike13 Member

I added nothing.
  12. KNight

That's just as uselessly black and white as the other options.

Where's the "Ignore the games and focus on the good features within" option?

Mike
  13. asgo

asgo Member

that would kind of invalidate the poll. ;)

hmm perhaps there should always be a standard option to decline the poll, let's update the forum software. :)
    it's also an option I sometimes miss with local elections, an option for you to record your review of the given options and your decision that non of these are eligible.
  14. kmike13

kmike13 Member

I kind of count that as nothing
  15. KNight

The point is that the pool is already invalid because the only options are unrealistic and arguably biased.

I don't think anyone has asked for revamps of any of the games listed in the poll, for that would mean forgoing things like fighting across solar systems and planet smashing, which is just ridiculous.

A better question for the poll options would be something along the lines of "Which game has the most appropriate elements for PA?" but even that is a somewhat loaded question.

That is just ridiculous.

Mike
  16. ayceeem

ayceeem New Member

The argument that Planetary Annihilation shouldn't be based on any other game and just be its own game is a good one. It's also a dishonest one.
  17. elexis

elexis Member

You are missing:

Zero-K
    Balanced Annihilation
    Any other spring game
    Age of Empires 2
    Dawn of War
    SMNC
    StarCraft 2
    DOTA
    and...
    Planetary Annihilation
  18. RaTcHeT302

RaTcHeT302 Guest

I'd rather had it more based on nothing at all as Uber would have to crank new ideas up.

If not, TA, but without the bad stuff.
  19. nightnord

nightnord New Member

"Based on" doesn't mean "should copy anything and everything" or "should be a sequel". It means "it should mostly be in spirit of". TA and SupCom are both about "big robot armies blasting each other", but got very different spirit, IMO. I'm too on option, that we should try to disect everything and adopt any good option from any good game, not only SupCom* or TA.

But it actually much harder to do, as you always have a hell lot of the options, and bringing them all together will lead to unplayable mess. So it's hard process.
  20. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

How many of those games had you blowing up planets as a standard gameplay feature? ...yeeeahhh.

The planetary aspect of PA is huge. It is also largely unprecedented in a RTS (it's more of a 4x niche), so there's almost nothing for PA to be "based on". While PA can take good features from a bunch of other titles- streaming economy, simplified production, powerful strategic interface- for the most part it's on its own.

I prefer the TotalA angle because it keeps a lot of things simple in a game that threatens to be incredibly complex. No upgrades, no messy tech tree, just units vs. units. It also provides some excellent answers as to the Commander's role, his tools, and the nature of the war in general.