Where are all the custom units?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by carn1x, May 2, 2016.

1. carn1x

carn1x Active Member

Maybe I was poisoned from living through Total Annihilation's unrelenting barrage of custom units by the community, or maybe there's some technical hurdle I'm not aware of, but the silence of custom unit releases is deafening! Obviously custom units are not an insurmountable issue proven by Legion's pre-release materials, but I'm surprised that there aren't more people trying their hand at it. This might sound like complaining, but honestly it's more of a confusion, and I'm probably looking back at TA's custom unit scene with rose-tinted glasses, there was a ton of cruft released during those times too. Just wondering :)
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

The game is set up such that no two custom unit mods can be used at the same time. I did some work on this, but there wasn't enough interest to push the updated PAMM. The hurdles are being removed with the current PTE, or shortly thereafter.
    martianhunter and carn1x like this.
  3. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

The game is set up such that no two custom unit mods can be used at the same time. I did some work on this, but there wasn't enough interest to push the updated PAMM. The hurdles are being removed with the current PTE, or shortly thereafter.[/QUOTE]
    So it is being intended to crrate a common unit list for all mods in the CMM before you load you game
    martianhunter likes this.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Another simple problem might be that making a good looking 3D unit is a lot more work than making a good looking 2D unit?
    martianhunter, Nicb1 and Heizmeister like this.
  5. martianhunter

martianhunter New Member

TA units are 3D ....

Kinda :D

But yea, from what understand, a PA unit takes a lot more time, effort, and vision than a TA unit.
    Last edited: May 4, 2016
  6. Engineer1234

Engineer1234 Well-Known Member

I made 2 custom units, it was quite a lot of work even though they are simple turrets :D
    An engineering station similar to those in Forged Alliance, and a turret that intercepts artillery shells and tactical missiles.

More to the point, I made those (part of my Turtle Hurdle) mod because I did not see anyone else spending much attention on defensive mods adding utility or structures.
    At some point I'd like to include turrets that mirror the role of Total Annihilation's Guardian and Annihilator turrets, PA's defences are kinda low on options if you ask me.
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

I'm like, way ahead of y'all here. So long as you guys keep churning out models, I'll keep churning out uses for them.
    Last edited: May 21, 2016