When the alpha starts

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by Cheeseless, April 20, 2013.

1. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

Are backers allowed to make videos about the alpha for Youtube? If not, when will we be allowed to start making videos? If yes, will there be a big 'ALPHA' in the corner or will we have to add it ourselves?

I'm hoping to restart my channel with PA. I have very few subs since i only made four videos in the channel's previous iteration.
  2. xenomorph555

xenomorph555 New Member

You most likely will be able to post videos on youtube in alpha, however don't take my word for it. It would be a bad move on their part if they didn't allow it.
  3. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

I could understand if they didn't want to 'cause it won't look too good. Though i'd like their express permission first, rather then posting first and getting sued after.
  4. Moranic

Moranic Member

I think they already said it will be allowed, simply because they can't control it.
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

They said that their first plan was to simply ask people not to post stuff online during the alpha. However in a recent post they mentioned that they might change this, since they think that the game will look decent and it might be not that bad to let people share what they see.
  6. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

We haven't 100% decided yet. There is a good chance we will not put any limits on it, but when the alpha starts to roll out, much like the backers forum, please respect any limits placed on it. Even if there are none. ;)
  7. Cheeseless

Cheeseless Member

Cool. So when the actual alpha is unlocked you'll post a final decision? That's fine by me :)
  8. paulzeke

paulzeke Member

the free publicity of having **** tons of awesome alpha videos will probably net a lot of new customers for Uber.
  9. Rebuilt

Rebuilt Member

If video post are allowed for the alpha and such I think there should be some watermark on the screen saying "Alpha version" or something. If not there will be confusion with potential buyers when they go to view the game videos on YouTube. They might be looking at an Alpha video and thing that is the final graphics/interface/game-play of PA and decide it is not a polished game so not purchase it. It could also lead buyers to believe that UberEnt makes sells unfinished games; giving UberEnt a bad rap in the market.

I think it would be better to have a video recording tool in the Alpha (and the final game). The Alpha tool could put the watermark on the video as it records and have limited video quality options (medium-low res). The final would record without the watermark and have more video options (both high and low res recording options).

Ride
  10. cola_colin

Yeah an easily visible watermark is definitely needed, if they should decide to allow sharing.
  11. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

I will always make sure to title and mark all videos accordingly. I want to present the game in the best possible light without sounding illogical and unreasonable like everyone else should. We must make Uber so rich that they start giving out free copies of the game. Yes that should be our goal!
  12. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Well, watermark or otherwise, one thing we'll be pretty aggressive is pulling down _anything_ that puts the "official" label, claiming it's an official video from Uber or for Planetary Annihilation. That sends a BAD message and is personally a huge pet peeve when looking for stuff on YouTube - drives me crazy that they don't limit use of that dang word. :)

Other than that, I can't imagine we'll need to be particularly strict about much else.
  13. Pavese

Pavese New Member

Quick question: in the Stream you hinted a few things about (restricting) alpha access. Are Backers excluded from this or did people pledge (and paid) for alpha and wont be invited?
  14. cola_colin

15. jamurphy84

jamurphy84 New Member

I vote that we should be able to show you the YouTube clip and if it's cool enough we can post it. Otherwise we probably shouldn't post it. The more people we can get to play it the better!

Obviously we'll respect any limits placed on the Alpha release
  16. cola_colin

I suspect thats pretty unrealistic, since checking that many videos would be way too much work.
  17. syox

syox Member

Hell no. They need like 20 people 24/7 to watch all vids. Thats more of a thing the community should handle. If you see inappropriate stuff send pm's t the devs.
  18. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Also, starting out it's at most going to be a handful of people in the alpha live streaming or putting up videos on YouTube; it's not like we're going to be seeing hundreds of videos going up... and if we do then that's kind of awesome people are so interested in the game (though is going to suck for Garat going through them).
  19. ToastAndEggs

ToastAndEggs Member

When i get into the Alpha, regulations permitting, i intend to post youtube videos.
  20. scifiz

scifiz Member

If it was me, I'd at least specify that the video should be marked as Alpha, like how the last livestream was.
    TB will attest to how much you can say in commentary/comments the game is an alpha build, and yet some people will see it as release version.