When I grow up I want to be not grown up

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by mncboxsox, February 15, 2014.

1. mncboxsox

mncboxsox Active Member

I find it somewhat amusing that people are surprised that I play MNC regularly and that I am 40. I actually had one person say that thought it was cool that someone like me still plays video games and I thought, I'm 40 not 120. That actually made me feel older than my senility and arthritis does (just kidding, those make me feel older than the comment did). I mean, don't we all need the therapeutic value of shot-gunning someone in the face at any age? Your thoughts (or lack thereof) on the subject (this is directed to everyone not just those of us who are moving into rest homes later this month).
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I am 22 and I often feel old in light of comments like that. My roommate is 32 and he games with me. His friend is 44 and is the same.

At the end of the day, I do socialize with "other adults" and I find the time I don't dedicate doing what they do and instead dedicate here is not a total loss. My older brother for instance, video games would be cheaper than any of the habits him and his wife blow 20k a year on.
  3. mncboxsox

mncboxsox Active Member

Out of curiosity, what part of my comment made you feel old? was it the "at any age" part or something else? By the way, this time I wasn't actually trying to offend anyone (it's just a bonus if I do).
  4. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I'm always the youngest >.>
  5. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I've been playing games with people over 40 since I was 14. D&D at the local game shop and whatnot.

I'm thoroughly convinced that people are never too old for games.
  6. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I know someone who plays games like skyrim, farcry and crysis, and he's 79. I doubt there's many people that old playing games like that :p
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

That guy has to be a pretty awesome person for being able to adapt that much to new things.
    websterx01 and thetrophysystem like this.
  8. trialq

trialq Post Master General

He's been a gamer for as long as video games have been around. It is pretty awesome that he can still play those types of games, I guess gaming is good for your reaction times :p
  9. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

I find it for me (23) that games are fun with other people. I find it harder and harder to play a game by myself then when I was younger. Mainly due to the fact that I'm in college and stuff needs to get done and there is no one else to do the laundry and cook dinner then before. I thought I was getting out of games at one moment. Then After getting some friends to play SC2, it was really fun again. So that is what makes me game, Not really the age, but who with.
  10. hostileparadox

hostileparadox Well-Known Member

You know what's great about this?
    The awesome LAN parties that are going to go down at retirement homes in the future.
    Because the amount of gamers is only going to increase :D
  11. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

My doctor loves that I'm a gamer and encourages all her patients to play. She's noticed a marked improvement in older patients if they can get some game time in. Whether it's video game or crossword puzzles, it helps.

I've seen older players (70+) who can pick up a new game and progress further than the younger players in the room. It's awesome and I hope the retirement home I go to has awesome LAN parties!
  12. mncboxsox

mncboxsox Active Member

If not, that's what retirement accounts and networking are for right? Who needs to waste their money on creamed spinach anyways.
  13. tairoylance112

tairoylance112 New Member

I walked over to the hill where we used to go and sled. There were a lot of little kids there. I watched them flying. Doing jumps and having races. And I thought that all those little kids are going to grow up someday
  14. byrnghaer

byrnghaer Active Member

People should never lose their inner child.
    Life can't always be serious. We need to unwind, and games are an excellent way of doing this.
    While gaming might have been frowned upon in the past, the scene is maturing. People of all ages play games now, wether they be simple facebook games or more hardcore games like PA or for instance the ArmA series.

If people still frown upon you playing games, they are simply outdated. After all, what makes their pasttime activity of being a couch potato mindlessly absorbing TV so much better than being mentally active in a videogame where you actually matter?
  15. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

gamers frown on other gamers for playing games. you're damned either way ;p
  16. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

because gamers are immature kids at heart who need to shout at everything, AND IT COMES FULL CIRCLE!
  17. mncboxsox

mncboxsox Active Member

Can I be an immature kid? Can I? Huh? Huh? Remember, it's not whether you win or lose, but how much trash you talk while doing it (says the guy who generally laughs at people who get all bent out of shape in lobbies where they should be trying to have fun).
  18. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I never felt the need to yell at games till I started using voice chats. Now I curse while playing almost nonstop if I'm in a chat. I still generally don't react when I'm not with people.

It's infectious.
  19. tairoylance112

tairoylance112 New Member

I grew up in farm country, even though not on a farm, and I loved this. Brief, to the point, and nicely illustrated!
  20. nawrot

nawrot Active Member

I tried to be grown up when i was around 25, but it was the most boring thing to do.
    If grown up means watching shows on TV, eating popcorn/pizza, having no hobby etc. (killing your brain).
    I rather stay childish and play PA instead.