What's the dealio on new equipment?

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat PC Wishlist' started by McNab, February 1, 2011.

1. McNab

McNab New Member

Like new hats, decals, backpacks and other modifications.

Seriously just by adding new virtual items can a game's online life last.
    Just look at (dare i say it) TF2, they've been here since 2007 and they've only gotten bigger.

And for those of you who are about to say "But as you can see, there is a slot when choosing your character to add equipment, so obviously they plan to add more" I have another question, how will we earn said equips? By fulfilling in-game challenges? Kill count? Or will we be able to buy these in a virtual gift shop (oh damn that's a good idea actually) with in-game money?

Well their's my 47 cents.

Love the game BTW, I just hope you don't go the direction of Lead VS Gold, quite a shame really.
  2. Mibuwolf

Mibuwolf New Member

How bout we don't go this route. It's nice not hearing people scream ZOMG ITS TF2 ALL OVER AGAIN, or something. We got extra items as a gift from Uber, unless they state they are adding more items and start a trading hat system, I think we can calm down.

I would hate to see a lot of these threads around spreading all kinds of chaos.
  3. Cedar Tree

Cedar Tree New Member

I also would be perfectly happy with 0 new hats, badges, etc. How about we focus on more maps and gameplay modes instead? I don't think you'll find one MNC player opposed to either.
  4. StriderHoang

StriderHoang New Member

Take the discussion where you will. Just don't add stat altering equipment and for the love of God, no in-game economy.
  5. Oscar

Oscar New Member

That's it.
  6. Lord Wadsworth

Lord Wadsworth New Member

Yeah, you have to remember, MNC is a game based on "THE SPORT OF THE FUTURE".

You're meant to look like a team of sports combatants, not a bunch of dressed up people.

You don't see football players wearing a bunch of random stuff.

So I say leave it, the few little fun things we got now is more than enough.

And no new weapons. Each class is perfectly balanced as is, no need to go changing anything.
  7. Deeja

Deeja New Member

Please please please please go back to TF2 with this crap.
  8. eternal

eternal New Member

Its all in HOW its done. If they are careful to keep the flavor and theme of the game there is no reason not to have gear. However if they go outside of that and start creating items based on the fact that the item itself is cool, but don't take into consideration the rest of the game then it completely ruins it.

Also don't make it random or in-game economy based.

FYI I'm against TF2s change and dislike the hat fortress its turned into. The problem is that of the 200+ items they've added to the game, only about 35-40 of them actually feel like they should be in the game at all artistically. And I'm completely against their item drop/trading system.

I wouldn't mind being able to spend some in-game cash to buy something like endorsement brand gear but its a very taught tight rope to balance on and perhaps its better NOT to venture into it at all.
  9. Vleessjuu

Vleessjuu New Member

It might be neat if you could edit your character with stuff that makes sense in this universe, like sponsor tags (I want a Tank with a big sign saying "STEEL PEEL" on his back :p). However, it shouldn't alter actual gameplay, IMO. And you shouldn't have to grind for it. Like in TF2, the game where there are such things as idle servers -_-.
  10. cyzmyass

cyzmyass New Member

I dont mind the cosmetic variety, as long as it is for looks only and dont affect game balance.

Also players should have option to disable it and only show default skins if they feel strongly about it, though i think they would personally miss out on the extra colour to the game :)
  11. DelBoy

DelBoy New Member

Vinyls and sponsor tags for the armors are fine, but hell, don't venture into the hat realm. Too much sentimentality creates a very obsessional community. Sure, it keeps the fan base 'loyal', but for the wrong reasons.
  12. eternal

eternal New Member

True, but its a matter of if it has an in-game economy or a random drop system akin to what TF2 has. Or something that players can actually strive for.

If you have a way to actively manipulate the ability to get items (such as achievements) then people will abuse these, however if the items don't have any VALUE attached to them (due to the fact they don't actually effect gameplay, and are not tradeable) than the issue of abuse of the system is a minor one at best.

As I said before, its something that is extremely easy to f' up and might be worth not venturing into at all. Due to the very strong possibility of doing it the wrong way.

100% agree. I don't mind the cosmetics and I fully support the idea of allowing the user to disable the display of the customizations. You shouldn't force people to view things they don't want to.
  13. bhaal177

bhaal177 Member

There already is an ingame economy established. It's called Cash on Hand. But, I agree. It is far better they don't walk that road. It would completely ruin the game for me if I start seeing some noobs running around with a bull horn coming out of his *** with steer horns on his head and winged boots. What kind of message would you be putting out than?
  14. eternal

eternal New Member

Thats not really an "in game economy" as you can't buy things from other players. By definition an economy requires multiple people:

15. bhaal177

bhaal177 Member

Thank you for pointing that out, I learned something new today. No sarcasm intended either.