What video card should I buy for this game?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by MigraineMaddox, November 13, 2013.

1. MigraineMaddox

MigraineMaddox New Member

GPU: GeForce 8400
    CPU: AMD FX-8320 Eight-Core Processor 3.52 GHz
    Memory: 16 GB

I play PA with graphics on low and texture res -50, and my screen res on the lowest it could go. It looks worse than Diablo 2 graphics, but it runs around 20 fps so I'm happy.

I'm looking to buy a new video card for Black Friday.
    What Nvidia card would I have to buy to play on Uber Graphics one monitor 1920 X 1080 and one at 1280 X 1024?

(PS: I'm not against AMD, it's just my computer breaks when I put a AMD Video card in it. I have an AMD Proccessor so yea. :) )
    Last edited: November 14, 2013
  2. Slamz

Slamz Well-Known Member

Yeah you're definitely due for a new GPU. I'm kinda looking around myself. I feel like an nVidia 670 or 760 would be good bangs-for-the-buck.

If you go nVidia, don't get anything with a "5" or less as the second digit. e.g. 650, 640, etc. "5" is borderline not a gaming card and "4" and under are basically for desktop office computers. They CAN run games but they won't be very good at it.

A second digit of "8" will be a beast that will last you a while but you'll pay out the wazoo for it, e.g., 780, 680.
  3. doud

doud Well-Known Member

I'm currently playing Planetary annihilation on 2 systems :
    GTX 560TI-2gigs
    GTX 660TI-2gigs
    It's obvious 660TI outperforms 560TI with PA (and as a consequence 670) and PA plays quite well using Medium settings + HDR.
    That's why previous recommendation 670/760 seems to me a good option.

However we have no idea about the performance improvement we'll get with final release.

Since it's obvious to me that PA is meant to scale (The better the hardware you have, the more planets/units your system will be able to display), i would (and i will) personally go for 770gtx + 4gigs of DRAM (I do not mention ATI RADEON R9 290 since you want to go for nvidia)
  4. lokiCML

lokiCML Post Master General

Same thread different sub forum?:confused:
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/what-video-card-should-i-buy-for-pa.53739/

Some wisdom from garat:

- my emphasis

- 2GB or greater of vram
    - non-reference design
    Last edited: November 13, 2013
    shootall likes this.
  5. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

One thing I find about this game is that more graphics RAM you got, the better.

PA LOVES graphics RAM just like it does regular atm. Even cards with similar benchmarks, in PA the one with more RAM will get a LOT better performance (like 2x more in my experience)
  6. MigraineMaddox

MigraineMaddox New Member

So then I have studied and decided that I will get this.
    http://amzn.to/1aFg8Zc
    It's the Nvidia GTX 770 4GB VRam.