What to do as beta testers on server crash?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Chemdude8, January 17, 2014.

1. Chemdude8

Chemdude8 New Member

Hi, have had my share of server crashes (game ends connection to server lost). This may be elsewhere on the forum, but any advice for anything I can check out for a cause? --Being server side I would doubt logs would be available to the clients.
    iron420 and stormingkiwi like this.
  2. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

As far as I'm aware, nothing.

They have the crash log. So I think they have all the info they need already for those.

Unless SXX or someone knows something I don't.
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

All server crashes are logged on Uber side, so if it's "random" crash just forgot about that.

If you know how exactly make server crash and you can reproduce it 5-10 times in row you can report it on bugtracker or if this something that can be abused you can send me PM. Anyway I'll check it and if problem confirmed I'll report that on internal bugtracker.

Or you can send it directly to somebody of devs, but they're might be busy so it's might take longer. E.g @garat always react on serious problems quick, but he is really busy person so it's good idea to leave this work for me if that not something super important.
  4. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Connection Lost usually means only that. What's confusing is that it drops you back to the game menu. Quit the program and open it again. When you log in, it will offer to reconnect you to your game.

You can spot this happening ahead of time if you see your units stop moving. (the client is really bad at spotting disconnects and can take up to a minute or two) If you zoom in and don't even see build animations running, just quit and reopen.

For a long time with 58772, I could never get past the early game with the AI until I figured this out.
    iron420 likes this.
  5. metabolical

metabolical Uber Alumni

Not only do we log the crash, we save a mini-dump of the crash, and automatically run a tool to group them in to buckets so we can fix the most common ones first. As you can imagine, with such a big update we have a couple crashes and we are looking at them.