What to do about the Steam situation?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by eukanuba, June 26, 2013.

?

What should Uber do about the bad publicity on Steam?

1. Drop the cost of the PA Alpha to $40

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Remove PA from Steam entirely until beta or release

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Nothing at all. Leave the PA Alpha on Steam at $90

2 vote(s)
    100.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. eukanuba

eukanuba Well-Known Member

It's heartbreaking to see the amount of flaming that is happening on the Steam forums regarding the price of access to the PA Alpha. I know why Uber have done it, and I'm sure you do too, but a large amount of Steam users have got the wrong end of the stick and are accusing Uber of profiteering and all sorts of other unpleasant things.

Nobody here wants PA scuppered by bad publicity before it's even finished, so should Uber do something about it? As I see it there are three options available:

1. Drop the cost of the PA Alpha to $40
    The complaints on Steam centre around the fact that it is $90 for access to the Alpha. They point out that other games charge less for early access, and they see Uber's decision as being completely wrong, at best ill-advised and at worst greedy. The fact that Uber only put PA on Steam so that latecomers who cannot use the Uber store can still access Alpha seems moot: there is no way to convince a majority of the Steam complainers of this fact, and they will continue to bitch and moan about it, potentially putting off a lot of customers.

By dropping the cost to $40 it would show that Uber is not ignoring the fanbase, but it would also potentially upset backers who have paid $90-100 for access.

2. Remove PA from Steam entirely until beta or release
    PA is only on Steam for the benefit of a very small group of people: those that want Alpha access, want to pay $90 for it, and who missed the Kickstarter and who cannot use the Uber store due to their country not being supported.

Would it be better not to support those people for the time being rather than continue to incur the anger of a large and vocal group of people?

3. Nothing at all. Leave the PA Alpha on Steam at $90
    Am I overestimating the level of the problem? Is it actually unlikely to harm sales of PA to leave it where it is?

----------

No doubt Uber have already discussed this at length, but I am interested to see what the backers think and also if there are any important points that I have missed.
  2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

There is no Problem, We've had enough of these threads already.

Go view all the old threads to see the arguments.

Mike
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

This has been discussed in length a lot of times. There is no need for further discussion in any form. I.e. refer to this thread: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=48382
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.