What is Success? (Uber Employee question)

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Sm1tty Sm1t, July 28, 2010.

1. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

I had sent this question to Scathis yesterday and I dont know if he doesnt have an answer, cannot confirm or deny an answer, or just didnt get my message, but here goes:

What is Uber considering a successful sales number? Meaning, how many units sold for you to consider this game a success? If you can't answer that for superstitious reasons, can you at least tell us what you look at to consider the game a success -- or is it just sales numbers and rating?
  2. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

A great success is if we get cake.
  3. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

That's a GREAT answer.
  4. Gentleman

Gentleman New Member

Is it hard to overstate your satisfaction?
  5. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

Heh, I saw this and I was like "Where did he send me a message?! No PM, no tweet, no e-mail... uhhh.." and then I check my xbox messages. Aha!
    Sorry, haven't been on my Xbox in a couple of nights so I didn't get it. You also can't listen to voice messages over the web, which is kinda lame.

So to answer your question. What is a Monday Night Combat success?

Well, there's a couple of parts.
    Financially, it's enough units sold so we can keep doing what we love. If it allows me to stay employed and make our next game, score! If it's more than that well, that's just gravy.

Critically is what I care about. I want people to enjoy it. I spent two years of my life on this project and I hope people like it. I'm hoping for an 80+ Metacritic. (I, personally, have never been involved with a game all the way to ship that was less than an 82)

And finally, just shipping is kind of a success. So many games you start don't get finished. We finished this one and it's good. That's a success right there.
  6. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

That's fair. Is there a number you're shooting for that you can talk about? Or do developers not sit with a # in mind?
  7. scathis

scathis Arbiter of Awesome Uber Alumni

All depends on who you ask. :)

Each of us have numbers... but I don't want to say, don't want to jinx it.
  8. l3g1t

l3g1t Member

Perhaps if you surpass your number it can then be revealed :D
  9. o

o Head Honcho Official PA

You can probably figure this out in a reasonable ballpark with back of the napkin calculations. I'll give you a few inputs to help:

* Uber is ~20 people.
    * We've worked on the game for 2.5 years but the team size ramped up over time.
    * We live in an expensive city and have great benefits (for your man month estimates :)
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

As soon as we know the sales numbers, I'll be happy to let everyone know how many copies we sold.

Unfortunately, I can't count, so anything more than 10 (or 20 with my shoes off) will be reported as a "bajillion".
  11. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

X360A Topic

Sounds like it's going to be popular. Thank God. Only so many times I can shoot Scathis or XShadowStormX in the face before I get bored. ;)
  12. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

I would say if MNC reaches 1,000,000 sold in about 8-10 months that would be a success.
  13. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

That's a 4% penetration based on 25mil Xbox live users.

Here are some previous sales numbers from other "hits":

14. TheJustinIsALie

TheJustinIsALie New Member

Yeah I was going going by past game sales.

Battlefield is a well known title and was released on PC, PSN and XBLA so I didn't take it into account.

Castle Crashers took 10 months to reach 1,000,000 copies downloaded and it's been on the best sellers for a long time. I say if MNC can beat 8 months to get 1,000,000 then it's good.

25mill total accounts, I'm sure about 50% don't play online anymore.
  15. Sm1tty Sm1t

Sm1tty Sm1t New Member

Between August 11th (release) and August 15 (the next sunday) I expect near 150,000 sales. Because of Lara Croft and the blah blah blah coming out the next week on XBLA, I think the next biggest push for downloads will be in the beginning of September, when kids go back to college.
  16. Diablohead

Diablohead New Member

2.5 years? I hope you all get great sales on this game as it looks fantastic, shows how much effort you all put into your product.