What game replaced/would replace SMNC for you?

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by thebigpill, January 30, 2013.

1. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

Why? How did you first get into it? For those of you that still play, what game(s) do you think you would start to play if Uber were to turn off the servers today? Yes, I'm that bored.

What: Quake 3: CPMA (SHOCKER!)

Why: I like how challenging it is and that it's just me versus my opponent. It's just so... free and so fast.

How: Long story incoming. Someone posted a Quake Live frag movie about Cooller in some random thread. I watched it, then I watched a game where Cooller complete dominated his opponent on a grand final map, then I watched some more high level 1v1's and all the while I was just amazed at how fast it was and how skilled and how smart the players were. As cheesy as it may sound, I thought to myself: I want to be able to do that, but back then I was still playing SMNC every day and I was reluctant to start at zero again in another game. I went to the website and started to play casually, with the goal of improving my DM skills. Around that time, I was watching one of Jeff's streams one day and I mentioned that I had started to play QL, grimbar responded with: "QL sucks ****, play more CPMA." At the time, I didn't even know what CPMA was, so I looked it up, found a few frag movies and again, I was just amazed. I kept 'maining' SMNC for another two months or so until I decided to stop noobing around and commit to Quake Live, since I figured CPMA was probably dead by now. After a week or so grimbar asked if I was "ready to step up," meaning play him instead of random pub trash. At first, I dodged like crazy, but after a while, I quit being a ***** and start to play him semi-regularly. After one of our games, I asked if he still had CPMA installed on an impulse and after he sent me an installer, I played my first game. I kept switching between QL and CPMA for a week or two, until, after just playing CPMA for a few days, I played QL again. It felt so slow, so easy and just plain boring compared to CPMA, so I decided to fully commit to CPMA. After another month of just playing grimbar, I went to an irc pickup channel and here we are now.

TL;DR: Saw some frag movies
  2. jbeetle

jbeetle Well-Known Member

Uber MNC
  3. nephandys

nephandys Member

I stopped playing a few months back now. The bugs, poor matchmaking, low playerbase, lack of updates, decreased communication from devs, etc. we all know the problems.

Currently I'm dumping all my gaming time into LoL. Love playing either solo mid or support. There's so much to learn and apply that I feel like I'll never really master it all. There's a lot to keep track of in any given match so that keeps my ADHD brain busy. After every game I'm simply compelled to play more regardless of the outcome. What can I say? It's like gaming crack.

The how is just that I beta tested in '08-'09 and I've been playing ever since. Also don't care for DotA or HoN very much. Strongly prefer LoL mechanics and gameplay. If SMNC could straighten out the issues I have (hell, just fixing the ghost fire issue alone would probably be enough) I'd be back playing every day in a heartbeat.
    Last edited: January 30, 2013
  4. jbeetle

That's funny because I played LoL first and moved to SMNC because I found it boring.
  5. nephandys

nephandys Member

I don't blame you. I know plenty of folks that feel exactly the same way. It's certainly not for everyone. However, it manages to scratch my gaming itch better than anything else at this point in time.
  6. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

I want a arena FPS that wasn't made 5+ years ago.
  7. jbeetle

A lot of multiplayer games, the main reason I continue to play them is because of the people. But I've never stopped playing a game because of the people.
  8. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Nexuiz?
  9. grimbar

grimbar New Member

Age is no concern here, if people would just play. CPMA is about as perfect as it gets for arena and it's certainly not ugly.

So either step it up or be a little girl
  10. roadkillgrill

roadkillgrill Active Member

I tried it on a free weekend, it wasn't very good. Its pretty bad when you cant find a server on a steam free weekend because the game is that broken.

I could reinstall it :-/
  11. Monarch

Monarch Active Member

Been looking for some fast paced shooters to get into since I've never tried that genre, you're knowledgeable on that subject Pill.

Mind naming a few thriving games atm?
  12. gravian

gravian New Member

Prepare to hear the names of a bunch of really old and/or dead games.
  13. shadowspycrab

shadowspycrab Active Member

MNC
  14. gravian

gravian New Member

I think in terms of fast they're talking both movement and lethality.

I'm not terribly knowledgeable myself, as I haven't been into arena style shooters in years, though two that would come to mind are Warsow, which isn't exactly new but isn't exactly old either, and Tribes: Ascend, which people are going to decry due to automatics and other random ****.
  15. thebigpill

Unfortunately, this is true.

Quake Live is a good starting point for most people I think. It's easier to get into and relatively alive.

Warsow is sort of Quake, but I've never tried it and I'm pretty sure you need to use IRC to get games.

CPMA ofc, but you should be mindful of the fact that you can't play CPMA casually, or at least not when you're learning. You either commit completely to it for a year or two, or you play something else.

@RoadKill, don't worry, 2gd started a project called Reborn. It's a fast-paced, competitive, arena fps game, made by three ex-Quake pros aka people that know what they're doing. The investors recently said yes, so it will probably/hopefully (you never know) be released in two years or so.

Edit: Also, I'm new to arena FPS, ask grimbar about it.

Edit2: Add me on steam if you wanna try out duel in CPMA http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198006635899/
    Last edited: January 30, 2013
  16. NegimaSonic

NegimaSonic Active Member

Hard to say, but I don't think anything would replace SMNC for me. This game is just its own thing.

That being said, it wouldn't be hard for any game to replace this one as far as playing is concerned. I've started up multiple games and took several breaks from this game since I've been playing. I just go with what interests me at the time.
  17. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Pretty much this.
  18. bitcheslovecake

bitcheslovecake New Member

Call of Duty: Black Ops 2

Battlefield 3

Halo 4
  19. thebigpill

Oh I forgot, if you're really desperate or if you prioritize population over gameplay for whatever reason, you could try out Shootmania, but I've never heard anyone say anything good about it. It's basically the Farmville of arena FPS.
  20. thipp

thipp New Member

Dota 2. I just enjoy it, and it has certain aspects of SMNC that I like. It's also easier to carry in, because the metagame (GodDAMN I hate saying that) has people letting carries farm like mad. It's comparable to me being an explosives spamming asshat to get every slim, except people expect and encourage that.

But it's still no SMNC :3