What do you think about trees?

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by syox, April 28, 2013.

?

What do you think about trees?

1. hug

8 vote(s)
    8.2%
  2. carbon storage

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  3. reclaim!

27 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. oxygen

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. burn!

38 vote(s)
    38.8%
  6. wood

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. wood har har har

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  8. not enough mana

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  9. quick make an axe pickaxe and stix

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  10. wtf?

5 vote(s)
    5.1%
  1. syox

syox Member

Well topic:
  2. iampetard

iampetard Active Member

not enough mana....

Perhaps it could be reclaimable as energy and flammable so it damages stuff thats close by. I assume thats what it will be like
  3. comham

comham Active Member

I will be very disappointed if I can't burn trees and watch the fire spread like in TA.
  4. rorschachphoenix

rorschachphoenix Active Member

Clever question.

"Burn"
  5. mushroomars

mushroomars Well-Known Member

Like come on man! We gotta be in tune with mother nature, we have to love and protect her children, not consume them!
  6. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Good poll.

Burn obviously wins, who doesn't like forest fires after all. :twisted:
  7. Daddie

Daddie Member

I liked the burning trees damaging enemy buildings :)
  8. irregularprogramming

irregularprogramming Member

If I can't make a tree biome planet, set it on fire and watch as the surface get's turned into a giant forest fire then I want my money back. :mrgreen:
  9. tanksy

tanksy Member

I think it would be brilliant if we could grow and burn trees. It would add so much Awesome.
  10. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I don't want to play as a Lumberjack... nor start a forestry commision in Planetary Annihilation. It seems like you're diluting the core experience here for trivialities.

Trees should catch fire when attacked, as they did in Total Annihilation, thus removing their availability for reclaim. They should provide some Energy on reclaim, but practically no Metal; again, like Total Annihilation.

Rocks should crumble into dust if they're fired upon, as they did in Total Annihilation, thus removing their availability for reclaim. They should provide some Metal on reclaim, but practically no Energy; again, like Total Annihilation.

Simple rules to live by... when you're 20ft tall Robotic killing/building machine.
  11. tanksy

tanksy Member

Yeah, But tree's are a plant. Imagine having a small planet growing trees to harvest them for energy. Players that rely on this to fund their whole economy could end up being devastated when the planet is attacked and destroyed.
  12. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Trees also don't grow to "harvestable" size in an hour.

Though I hope you already knew that.
  13. Xagar

Xagar Active Member

I would like fire to deal enough damage to destroy extremely light buildings and units.

That may be a little silly for super robots, though.
  14. GoodOak

GoodOak Active Member

I'm in favor of the TA way. I would like to see some big forest fires, maybe the bigger the fire, the more damage to units and structures in the way.
  15. scifiz

scifiz Member

Why would you reclaim trees? It'd be inefficient. By the time you were desperate enough to consider it most forests would be smoking craters.

Trees should obviously be as destructible as any other terrain.
    Flammable, and roll over, forests would be nice. I was rather expecting it when the tanks headed towards trees in the pre-alpha then realised it'd be something to add later. But they aren't critical.

If they are going to be so flammable as to spread a fire and do damage to my base I'd want a way to intercept the fire, like forcing a tank to roll through a forest to make a fire break.
  16. jurgenvonjurgensen

jurgenvonjurgensen Active Member

Or let the fire wash over your base with zero care. Your army is nuclear death robots; they don't care about burning trees because they're designed to operate in space, take reentry heat and survive near-misses from strategic nuclear weapons. The fact that TA had units which supposedly chucked antimatter warheads around like buckshot damaged (even slightly) by burning trees was rather annoying.