What do we think of walls?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by lapsedpacifist, December 1, 2014.

1. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

I don't post many (any) threads, and this isn't a big issue but I just wondered what people felt about walls at the moment, specifically how they behave in letting fire through.

As far as I know, walls seem to block a certain proportion of shots, but the number of shots that go straight 'over' the walls seems to be random. Sometimes I take no damage behind walls, sometimes a turret or sniper bot seems to ignore them completely. This makes it very hard to predict how much damage units behind walls are taking. Furthermore, it may be my imagination, but some units seem to have a better chance of penetrating walls than others (see aforementioned sniper bots)? Any data on this would be appreciated.

I'm not per se saying this is a bad way for walls to behave, but it certainly detracts from the value of the already underused grenadiers, and from static artillery, when a large group of ants can quite happily kill a comm even through a double layer wall. Although I don't think walls should be buffed, I'd like to see the ability of different units to fire straight through walls standardised, or, if it's all in my head, the exact stats released.

Anyone else think this is an issue or have any light to cast on it for me?
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The walls work fine, and most units that shoot over are doing so because they aim at the top of tall buildings.

I like that.

If anything you could make walls taller to compensate.

But Id also like it so that friendly unit cant shoot through them if so, so that tanks can't phase shells though them, although this make make towers impossible to use with them.

*shrugs*
  3. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I would like it if walls had a strictly non-random % block chance. It doesn't have to be 100% but it shouldn't be much below 75% and it should not be wildly random. I would also personally like them to be a tiny bit cheaper so we see more use out of them.
  4. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

They should black 100% of shots that hit them, such is simulated projectiles.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  5. lapsedpacifist

Aah ok, this explains it for me thanks.

So shots can only go over the walls if your opponent is targeting something taller than the wall itself, eg a tower. I might do a bit of testing to check you're right, but all that bothered be was the unpredictable-ness of it: now I know how they behave I can act accordingly.

Cheers!
    igncom1 likes this.
  6. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

It is the most overplayed map in all of Renegade X...

OH, Walls that you build in front of turrets in Planetary Annihilation, that's different...

In my opinion, they should have 3000 health so they actually can be broken but to do so takes a massive beating.

They should go back to the way before where they blocked all shots.

Currently, sniper bots sniper rifle goes off "beam weapon", that is why its 100% hit no matter what. Shorten sniper range at that rate, or revert to non-beam weapon, or something. I can quote @scathis or some dev saying walls counter sniper bots, but that isn't the case now fo sho.

One last note, is that combat fabbers need cost reduced to 250-350, and grenadiers reduced to 70-100. I usually go with 300 and 80 respectively. Then, they rejoin the ranks of the "used units" again. This MAY have substancial effects to balance, tanks are starting to get good again but bots get a buff against high health entities, it should possibly make stuff good again.
  7. lapsedpacifist

Aah ok so it's not my imagination that sniper bots ignore walls entirely. That little fact lost me a game the other day...

This is what I mean, igncom has cleared up SOME of what makes walls behave how they do, but it seems there are exceptions to the rule. I'd just like a full list of what is blocked by walls and what isn't, I hate unpredictability in strategy games.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

If you build them without gaps against a tower, they usually work 100% of the time. Or a commander for that instance. If the tower is close to mex, for some reason it may get hit so don't build it against a mex.