what balance mod to use?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by toric55, October 26, 2014.

1. toric55

toric55 Member

stratera or RCBM ? or modX? or UberBalance?
    I'm thinking about trying out a mod rebalance, but down know witch one to try. i owl like one that i can find the people for, and one that the AI plays with. whats your honest recommendation?
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Uberbalance I would say, as it sticks to the current AI very closely.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Try out them all.

The Statera AI is a freaking demon. If it gets up a sizable airforce...

You're dead.
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I too would suggest trying them all out. They all have good documentation on what's what, and all three have an active playerbase of at least four people. :D
  5. stuart98

You're forgetting ModX br0.
  6. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Try them all out, though i would recommend you try statera over the others. Statera is kinda half balance mod and half gameplay redesign mod due to alot of new units. It's decently interesting.

RCBM is not a balance mod, it's basically an entirely different gameplay mod where things are really slow, units are really expensive, and the pacing and other things don't really feel right to me. Nothing really clicks together. Who knows though, you might enjoy their slower paced gameplay vision.

Havn't played modX so i can't comment on that one.
  7. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

What they said is mostly true.

Uberbalance plays exactly like you should expect vanilla to play. So if you play vanilla well, don't exploit old strategies and start over. If you suck at vanilla, you have nothing to lose and it won't be very complicated.

Statera is a lot of technical units. If you like literally a unit role for everything imagineable, this has about 100 units, not including structures. Literally 15 units per factory, Bot, Vehicle, Air, Naval, Orbital. It also makes a moderate economy adjustment, you can't really make it any worse than vanilla.

RCBM feels like an older RTS. I tried making a mod of this myself with vanilla with modified numbers. I don't remember how well mine was, but it lacked "classic units". RCBM has classic RTS units you may remember from a lot of the older games. Buggies, APCs, tanks, infantry-men.

ModX is between Vanilla and RCBM. It feels like vanilla, but is heavily scaled, and uses interesting new mechanics like anti-air variety and pros-cons to them, scaled unit sizes to be more realistic to the terrain, units damage realistically like 10 bullets kill infantry 1 shell kills infantry 1 airstrike kills tanks ect, and units behave realistically like AA missile storage and restock and lasers being beams.
    Last edited: October 26, 2014
  8. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

Honestly, the best one is probably the Orbital Warfare Overhaul mod. I know the guy who makes it, and it's just really good. I mean, it's not like I'm biased or anything, so it's definitely 100% the best.
  9. stuart98

It's not like emraldis made it or anything. :rolleyes:
    emraldis and squishypon3 like this.
  10. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

It's true that RCBM is a bit slow paced but it's a lot more complex than the other mods. Every unit is indeed costlier and slower to produce, but it's a lot stronger if used correctly so you have to be a lot more careful of what your enemy is doing and how you use your units. Also if you are looking for more Total annihilation stile gameplay RCBM mimics that much better than any other mod as our founders @nanolathe and @YourLocalMadSci were avid fans of that game and based a lot of their decisions on how things were don in that game.
    optimi likes this.
  11. toric55

toric55 Member

yup, as soon as i get some mod issues working (e.g. getting aoutfactory, awsomeprogectiles, and csplosions) I'm a TA fan myself (liked it enough to learn basic wine skills to port it before GOG did it) but never played supcom. so i may try out RCBM
  12. emraldis

Not at all.
    stuart98 likes this.
  13. stuart98

WTH I was just reading this thread randomly (I can't even remember why?) and you go ahead and necro it. Wow bro.
  14. emraldis

I was just notified that you liked my post, and I saw you had replied to me earlier and I never saw it. I blame you. :p
    stuart98 likes this.