What are your internet speeds? (todo with lag)

Discussion in 'Monday Night Combat 360 General Discussion' started by Kamikaze, August 19, 2010.

1. Kamikaze

Kamikaze New Member

It's pretty straight forward, I was just hoping to compare speeds since I've got the whole "lag" issue running pretty bad for me.

To keep things short, go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and post results.
    I got 20Mb/s Download and 0.75Mb/s Upload
    Ping to test server was 22ms

[​IMG]

Also: I used the beloved search function, so yes, I know Uber's working on it and I am being patient, just wondering if it was my end or theirs.

[rant]
    And if you're thinking of telling me P2P games will experience lag unlike games with dedicated servers, then know that ever game I have joined has had me twitching across the map and falling of constantly. I don't have this issue with MW2, I can tell you that! :p (Though yes, there is a bigger player-base, so theres a better chance of having a host near me)
    [/rant]

Cheers!

Edit: This was meant to go into feedback/issues, my bad.
    Last edited: August 19, 2010
  2. Shammas

Shammas New Member

[​IMG]
  3. Xbawx

Xbawx New Member

[​IMG]

Meh, it does what I need. I wish it was better though. I want FiOS.
  4. Shammas

Shammas New Member

That's what I've got. Great host more than anything.
  5. Doom

Doom New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

To Cali from Jersey;

[​IMG]
  6. Xbawx

Xbawx New Member

Yeah, I like them so far. Haven't had 'em long, just moved up to Minnesota and they had the best rates.
  7. PhantomPhoton

PhantomPhoton New Member

[​IMG]

I pay for Tier-2 highspeed from Shaw Cablesystems in Vancouver, BC.
    Router is a Belkin Wireless N, wired connection to XBox.
    Cable Modem is Motorola SB5100.
    XBox shows an open NAT.

[​IMG]

I hope this sort of data helps Uber. I experience my fair share of bugs that they claim are lag issues. I'm sure there's no lag on my end, so maybe it is a problem with the host?
  8. Kamikaze

Kamikaze New Member

I have a linksys G, wireless to xbox, cable modem as well (Abbotsford, BC) with Open Nat.
    I'm wondering if my (our) upload speeds are playing an effect, as if the console wasn't able to communicate to the host that we have or have not done something (like stop moving forward)
  9. PhantomPhoton

PhantomPhoton New Member

It shouldn't be.

You're getting 740 Kbps (0.74 Mbps), and I'm getting 970 Kbps (0.97 Mbps) which is plenty even to host 12 other players. If you're connected to someone else as a host, then you have far more upstream bandwidth than is required.

As a rule of thumb, you need between 64 Kbps - 128 Kbps per player you are hosting. I'm assuming Uber knows this and tried to keep the required bandwidth on the low end of the scale.

Much more important is your ping time, and especially the number of dropped packets. You can see from my pingtest that I have a pretty decent ping time, and 0 dropped packets. This should result in very little lag, if any, and no dropped connections.

PS: You can see average upload speeds around the world here: http://www.speedtest.net/global.php

Canada tends to be ahead of the average in North America for download speeds, and behind the curve on upload speeds. This just means you probably won't be chosen to host any games, but it's doubtful you're experiencing problems with your gameplay because of them...
  10. rhineville

rhineville Member

[​IMG]

I don't really have much to add, only that it's quite rare that I experience lag.
  11. OptiMAT

OptiMAT New Member

Damn you Americans kick the UK's *** on internet speeds...
  12. FiercelyFuzzy

FiercelyFuzzy New Member

[​IMG][​IMG]
    The ping test is from Washington..I live in pa.
    Last edited: August 19, 2010
  13. Kamikaze

Kamikaze New Member

Interesting stats. I had done a ping test earlier (didn't post it) And I seem to fare just fine for Seattle as well (many TF2 servers I play are hosted there, no complaints).
    [​IMG]

That's a joke right? (plus I'm Canadian :p)
  14. OptiMAT

OptiMAT New Member

No! No joke. Average UK Internet speed is 8mb/s. Whether that's bits or bytes (damn those crafty statistics) i'm not sure, but I knew for a long time we were stuck on 2mb/s download, 2. We changed service provider and got up to ~5 now but that's still not 20 or 30 :shock: I think our Upload speed is ~1mb too. Will need to check when I can give a rats.

I tend to not suffer from severe noticeable lag unless I play off peak times and am obviously connecting to someone far away where the Ping is going to be high.
  15. Kamikaze

Kamikaze New Member

Interesting. I don't know what the pricing is like, but i'm paying 45$ a month for my speed. (28.073484 United Kingdom Pound). Though in Canada phone/cell rates are pretty awful compared to other places. (Can't wait until Google Voice is supported in Canada)

I also have a friend in Danemark who I know has an insanely fast internet speed (can't remember the numbers), and she made it sound as though the price was of no concern. Odd...
  16. OptiMAT

OptiMAT New Member

The general consensus is that speeds are so low because providers are all stuck using ancient UK telephone copper wire that's just too darn... old to be of any use for high speed internet. I think at the moment Virgin is the only corporate offering Fibre Optic cable (and thus speeds of ~20mb) but that's strictly limited to where they can/have afforded to put it in, which basically means London and a few other heavily built up cities but not even the surrounding suburbs.
  17. EmoHObo

EmoHObo New Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I was streaming Netflix at the time, I hope that didn't effect the results too much.
  18. gunked

gunked New Member

From my Laptop using Wifi

[​IMG]
  19. leadlpmaster

leadlpmaster Active Member

I jelly.

[​IMG]
  20. ZOoo00OOm

ZOoo00OOm New Member

[​IMG]

is this good?