Water Tides

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mjshorty, July 10, 2014.

1. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Our own moon does this, uber should implement tides, to see water waxing and waning would add to the game. Want to get over that little bank of sand that you KNOW that your big hunking navel units can plow through? just wait for the tide to roll in, or that small stretch of water that cuts you off from the back of the enemy base? no problem let the tide roll out.
    Water Tides can not only add to gameplay experience but planet interactivness.

What would be even cooler if Uber was able to make the water tides coincide with THE MOONS! or nearby planet getting near that throws the water out of wack
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

The water used to have tides but it was removed because WYSIWYG.
  3. mjshorty

??... thats stupid, you can clearly see water
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

You know what? I'm just going to put this here:
    mjshorty likes this.
  5. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Uber should make the moons at least 384,400 kilometres away because our own moon does this.
    phantomtom and brianpurkiss like this.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

They removed the tides because there were a lot of areas where the land and water overlapped but it wasn't visually clear what the terrain actually was. You couldn't tell if you were looking at a strait or a land bridge.
    FSN1977 and brianpurkiss like this.
  7. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

8. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Gerfand and stuart98 like this.
  9. sycspysycspy

sycspysycspy Active Member

10. mjshorty

>.O....you win, we just need those shallow areas/swamps that allow both ground and naval through
  11. calmesepai

calmesepai Member

I would prefer small ships at most large ones can potentialy look out of place
    Other than that I 100% agree
  12. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

How would we know when the tides were coming in? How far would they come in?
    What would happen to units caught by the tides? Would they be disabled? Destroyed?
    I don't think physical tides would be good for gameplay.

I think having waves on the coast and beaches, where a bit of surf goes up and down on would be cool - so long as it were shallow enough for any ground unit to traverse. In other words - 'Tidal Zones' would not affect gameplay.

Shallow water could be a cool barrier for Subs and underwater units too, forcing them to surface in order to enter/traverse a shallow patch of water. Shallow water is turquoise, so this would be WYSIWYG. Shallow water =/= underwater mountains.
    Last edited: July 10, 2014
  13. phantomtom

phantomtom Active Member

Ooo Can`t wait till they put in physics for water, just water spashing everywere, big BAMF of water just raceing across the planet,ships fighting, water splashing! I don`t know if they have plans for advanced physics like that but would not mind:)
  14. mjshorty

Sandy beaches my freind...sandy beaches xD....however, shallow waters is a much better idea then tide o_O
    eroticburrito likes this.
  15. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

fixed that for you.

I will not accept the WYSIWYG argument on this one. Waves were awesome and you'd have to have severe mental disabilities to not be able to make an average of high tide and low in your head.

whatever!

it looked fantastic, taking it away was a terrible idea. since it's at least somewhere in the engine it should at least be a choice if people are going to be so uptight about it.
    gtf50 likes this.