Water Planets/Gas Giants

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by neophyt3, August 23, 2012.

1. neophyt3

neophyt3 Member

The first 2 unlocked stretch goals don't seem as separate as their names imply. I mean, the gas in the gas giants becomes more like liquid as you get deeper into the planet. The main difference would be that it would be much hotter (I think) deeper within the planet then normal water. Still, I don't remember the exact temperatures.

So why would you need to make "mountains" for the buildings to be built on those planets? While ships wouldn't really work (because the change in gas density is gradual), all the underwater naval units (like subs) can be made to work on the gas giants (no reason why their technology couldn't wouldn't withstand high temperatures, if they are there).

I can just imagine, subs sailing dense gases :D
  2. felipec

felipec Active Member

hahaha that would be funny! I am still not sure how the batle will take place in gas giants..
  3. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

I'd like to see the option for flyers to 'submerge' into the gas... maybe. Though it's kinda stretching plausibility. It'd really depend on how they do things.

Also, maybe it'd be nice to have planets with high clouds... and high fog... so you can see above it, but once you send your units into it... it's thick and dense as crap, and radar sucks.
  4. kamov23

kamov23 New Member

Well, on water planets, mostly ships will be used, unless we have carriers, then we will most likely have the option for aircraft as well. I would think combat on gas giants will mostly involve aircraft, with weaponized satellites providing fire from above. Just a thought.

I wonder though, will the inclusion of water planets mean that there will be ice planets as well? Or will Ice planets be part of the Base game, or a third stretch goal?
  5. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

From Kickstarter:
    :D

Hopefully this means we can have underground oceans... like Europa or such.
  6. kamov23

kamov23 New Member

I read that too, but ice asteroids are different from ice planets. Asteroids i think might be used for resources or weapons, while ice planets are whole battlefields, with multiple players being able to colonize them.
  7. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Ah yeah, misread too, damn!

But yeah,I hope they will have ice planets with [potentially] sub-surface oceans too.
  8. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

The Gas Planet stretch goal isn't so much about the gas, and much more about expanding the orbital options of combat, which would reasonably be a fair chunk of work extra.
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Yes. Making more and better orbital units and have planets with an orbital focus.
  10. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Ahh yeah, this makes much more sense now. Like having an orbital base that drops a long straw into the atmosphere to siphon off fuel.
  11. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Think about it as a turbo for a fusion reactor.
  12. tpapp157

tpapp157 New Member

I drink your milkshake!
  13. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

Cool :D

Looking forward to hearing more about both of these stretch goals! Especially with regards to how combat will play out across the different layers... (underwater, planet surface, atmosphere, orbit, transit between planets?...)

... I'm not sure what to make of this.. but uh.. thanks... I guess.. :? :lol:
  14. ferigad

ferigad Member

lol, sounds like a fusion reactor with nitro infusion xD But i know what you mean.

Just btw. Its far more intressting what would be happen if you artificial increase the gravity of a gas giant to force it to collapse on itself. That would be a Solar-System killer.

Dont wanna think about what could happen if a super-fusion reactor powerd by a Gas Giant could become instable and maybe backfire to the Atmosphere of the Planet with its Fusion reaction... hmm!

There can go so mutch things wrong if you open fire on a fusion reactor that is directly connected with a Gas Giant. :p But you can also get good old Hydrogen out of the Atmosphere. Nice Rocketfuel. And Explosiv! ;)
  15. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

I was reading the kickstarter strecch goals and i noticed one of the comments about construction of building space (floating platforms) on gas giants. Reminded me of an old game called netstorm.

I'm undecided as to wether it is a good idea but it seems worth discussion.
  16. acey195

acey195 Member

I think the asteroid mechanic would also unique for gas giants,
    theoretically they wouldn't do as much damage, unless buildings are directly hit by such asteroid I guess. So that would also make them a relatively low priority target for asteroids,
    unless there is something special the devs have in mind of course :)
  17. tpapp157

tpapp157 New Member

It's a quote from the movie There Will be Blood describing the concept of drainage with regard to oil fields. Oil fields are vast and of course extend across property lines but due to drainage all you need are the rights to drill from one property to get all the oil in the field.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_hFTR6qyEo
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080211173020AAGU11b
  18. luukdeman111

luukdeman111 Member

How 'bout having them pass through the Gas giant and popping out on the other side? XD

No wait that's silly now that i think about it since the core of a gas giant is freaking hot and solid and the pressure is absolutely enormous there so the asteroid would melt and crash and collapse and probably dissapear.
  19. mauly

mauly New Member

I hope these stretch goals will be met. I just played the Aqueus Minor and Nigh Pilago missions from the TA core campaign. Ships are fun!
  20. torgamous

torgamous New Member

No need for theory. There'll be a fireball the size of a rocky planet at the point of impact and some scars for a few months afterwards, however long that is in the game. The splash will destroy anything that's in or on the planet at the time, but it won't become unusable.

What I'm curious about regarding the gas giants is if it means we'll be getting more interesting moons than the Earth's. Io, Europa, Titan, and even Ganymede are a lot cooler than our moon.