Visual hint for the "placement_size" of buildings ?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by Schemya, January 18, 2015.

1. Schemya

Schemya New Member

Hi again.
    I keep blocking my metal points because of the land factories' invisible space (attribute placement_size in the json apparently) in the extension of the ramps and intended for units pathing.

It is a serious UI shortcoming in my opinion that you have to estimate a correct placement by memory, but I saw it has been mentioned many times here, so hopefully it will be fixed someday.

In the meantime, I wanted to try and make a UI mod to address that.

So far, I think I've found a way to change the metal points so it will draw a circle the size of a T2 mex.

Unfortunately, I still need to display the "placement_size" of the factory, when the order has not been issued yet and the wireframe model is visible, and I'm not sure how I can do that. Maybe I could modify the client's factory model to add some kind of small 3D border... Would that work even if the server doesn't have the same model ?

Having the metal points turn red when the building wireframe is too close would be great, but I suppose it's not possible ?

Any thoughts ?
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yes. The 3D model is completely unimportant to the server. It only cares about the configured physical size of the bounding box. So you certainly could modify the factory models to have some sort of visible "roll off area" and locally use those models. The server won't care.
    Schemya likes this.
  3. Schemya

Schemya New Member

Great, I'll get right on it. :)