Upgraded to 290x Crossfire... framerates STILL garbage?!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by smallies, December 11, 2013.

1. smallies

smallies New Member

What gives guys... 290x crossfire, with a 4ghz i7 920, 24gb ram... still unplayable framerates?

I feel like a parent saying to a child "Well? What do you have to say for yourself!" - but really? Not even 30fps... AT MEDIUM!?
  2. omniao

omniao Active Member

... Intel™ isn't much of a gaming processor company. More of a communications company...
    i5 is the best gaming one from Intel!™, I think.
  3. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

give us other computer specs please...
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

First as said before this game don't use CrossFire/SLI at all.

Are you running game from Steam or though Uber launcher now?
  5. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

because I'll laugh if you have a 32bit system...
    elwyn likes this.
  6. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Have you checked out the thread on improving framerate?

Remember, the game is still in beta and performance optimization is one of the last thing's that's focused on in game development.
  7. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Funny, I bought a cheap 7750 amd card and it has worked good from day one. ;)
  8. smallies

smallies New Member

win 8.1 64bit
    128gb OCZ SSD
    2 x 290x in crossfire (tried non crossfire, no diff)
    i7 4ghz
    Asus P6T x58 mobo
    24gb 1600mhz ram

I think this should be more than a capable machine...
  9. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

need your DxDiag file for a comprehensive system inspection... make sure your not using the steam to launch the game... just use uber's launcher for now, as SSX pointed out, this game does NOT support dual graphics cards so buying two is a waste if you bought them solely just for this game that is. Could very well be an AMD driver issue also, don't make planets over 800 in side for now, don't build a dozen planets per system either (for now).
    ffreka likes this.
  10. ffreka

ffreka New Member

How do I get it launching from uber instead of steam?

Im on mac osx 10.9
    Processor 2,7 GHz Intel Core i7
    Hukommelse 16 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Grafik NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M 1024 MB

Best
  11. Ash3000k

Ash3000k Member

The benchmarks seem to say otherwise lol
    Quitch likes this.
  12. stormingkiwi

stormingkiwi Post Master General

I have a 650M also. 2gb. 40 fps.
  13. Timevans999

Timevans999 Active Member

so does the price
  14. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

i have a

Asus P8H61-M LX3 PLUS R2.0
    i3-3220 3.30GHz
    Asus Nvidia GTX 660 TI OC Direct cu
    2x 4GB Crossair Vengeance ram
    Windows 7

I have everything turned on Uber and high etc
    playing on 1080p and I only have FPS issues on Experimental maps

it runs like a charm

btw its BETA
    Last edited: December 11, 2013
  15. thundercleez

thundercleez Member

Dude, you have no idea what you're talking about. Ever since the i7s were released, Intel has been king of the hill for gaming. The 920 is still a great gaming CPU. I'm using it right now without any issues on tons of demanding games.

@OP, it probably has to do with crossfire. Have you tried a single card setup? Also, make sure your drivers are the most up to date.
    Ash3000k likes this.
  16. Bhaal

Bhaal Active Member

Uber should finally fix dual triple and quad gpu support. Evey mid range gaming mainboard is able to do crossfire or sli and modern games should be able to use it for profit.
    vackillers likes this.
  17. Zoliru

Zoliru Active Member

its still in beta let them finish the game befor starting to add these stuff

and I Never saw any reason for using 2x Video card buy 1 good card and you can play ANY game for years on Maximum

btw Uber said they will add multimonitor to the game so im SURE they will make some serious Optimazation for the game.
  18. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Anyone who buys 2 videocards for gaming is wasting a lot of money for next to nothing. Don't want to offend anyone, but simply don't do it, it makes zero sense.
  19. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

I feel for you,,
    There are quite a few people with ATI cards suffering from bad performance,, it's a known issue and the developers are hard at work rewriting the graphics code that runs the game to better support the way ATI drivers in windows handle openGL.
    The biggest issue is not to do with your pc but with the way ATI's drivers are handling the graphics coding, when the issue is sorted you should have awesome performance with such a high end card..

I get 25fps on my Intel HD 4000 on an i5 1.7ghz mobile dual core cpu..
    I get 38 fps on my gtx320m in a 2.5ghz core 2 duo mac mini.
    And i get 12 fps on my ATI 6870 - i7 4770k :(

once the ATI issue is fixed im assuming my ATI card should get similar or higher framerates that my gxt 320m mac mini..
    I'm sure your 290x will get amazing performance.
    Also there are some other optimizations still on the way that should also improve fps on all systems (unit instancing or batch rendering, and improvements on the way trees are instanced too)
    When those features are implemented your CPU usage will lower allowing it to do more stuff and your Graphics card will handle more of the game rendering..
    I think at the moment with the way things are being done by the game engine the CPU is the current bottle neck for performance as the opengl rendering is only done by a single thread meaning total 3d game performance for PA is limited to the speed of a single core...
    The other core/threads are being used to do things like render the UI and sync game data between server and client.
    Last edited: December 11, 2013
  20. vackillers

vackillers Well-Known Member

Hi ffreka, in order to download the uber launcher, go here:
    https://store.uberent.com/Download/Install?titleId=4

You might need to log in with your uber account to access that page, but basically just download the launcher via the keys section after you log in (if the link above doesn't take you right to it)

@ace63 Its certainly not a waste to buy 2 graphics cards, there are PLENTY of games that support miltiple cards and almost every new game thats been released since 2005 has had support for multiple cards, you get the same performance as a Titan and GTX 780 TI with 2x GTX 760s for example, for a fraction of the cost, so actually its MORE cost effective than spending 7-800$ video card.. NOW THATS a damn waste.... especially with the new Maxwell 8 series cards just around the corner now. There is only a handfull of games that don't support multiple cards, Minecraft is one that spings off the top of my head, and its normally games that use Java scripts because java doesn't support sli/xfire, and never will. Anything made with a half decent engine supports it,
    ie: Crysis / Battlefield / Bioshock / Assassins Creed / Unreal Tournament / Mass Effect / EVE-Online just to name a few over the past decade.