Update on Mac 10.6

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by garat, June 19, 2013.

1. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Unfortunately, it doesn't look good on getting Mac 10.6 to work. A combination of middleware, and large chunks of our own code being written around some of the enhancements made in 10.7 that are NOT backwards compatible with 10.6 means, to get it working, we'd have to re-write large chunks of the underlying code in our own engine, even if we could get the middleware working, to support 10.6.

This is unfortunate, and kinda sucks. Since about 20% of the Mac market is still running 10.6. :/

This isn't a "no, not ever", but more of a "it's gonna be a fairly huge chunk of work to make happen", and it's hard to justify doing that for 20% of 10% of the market at this stage of the project when there are still so many huge features to work on. I don't mean that to sound uncaring about the people on 10.6, but just an ongoing effort to be upfront with how we need to prioritize work that will take multiple people a huge amount of work to update. I don't want to dither and say "we might still get it!" if I realistically think it may not happen. Which, right now, is the case.

For all the things I love about OS/X, this is one of my least favorite things.

Sorry for the bad news for the ten-sixers.
  2. cebjyre

cebjyre New Member

Disappointing news, but I'm not going to put on my rageface (I should be upgraded by betaish I think). You really should update the System Requirements on http://www.uberent.com/pa/ though.
  3. asgo

asgo Member

just out of curiosity, how easy/cheap is an upgrade from 10.6 to 10.7 in terms of hardware compatibility and software costs? I avoided the mac world so far and just want to get an impression how the version changes compare to different linux or windows version steps.
  4. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

For the last couple of releases it's usually been $30-40 to upgrade, how ever they often drop support for older macs 4-6years old with each update so people can have reasonably decent machines that just won't run the newest version.

I think for 10.7 they may have dropped all non 64bit macs, but I'm not exactly sure on that...
  5. z4c

z4c New Member

It's $20(US) for 10.8 and you can upgrade right from 10.6; the only need for 10.7 are a few 2007-2008 macs that won't run 10.8 (without minor hack).

Plus 10.9 will probably be out by the time PA is ready to ship.
  6. garat

The main change between 10.6 - 10.7 is dropping of 64-bit support, as mentioned, which is why my mac mini can't run 10.7 :) A 2008 mini - last of the 32s.

Their software updates are very affordable, thankfully. And you shouldn't need to change any hardware to upgrade, unless your system is too old to upgrade at all.
  7. dezsoul

dezsoul New Member

well that means no PA alpha for me T.T
    that sucks
  8. DragonMaus

DragonMaus New Member

Understood.

I'll have another go at putting a Linux on my MacBook Pro.
    Apple's non-standard EFI setup makes things difficult; hopefully things have improved since I last checked a couple of years ago.

I may even install one of the BSDs and see how well "Linux Binary Compatability" works...

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what the absolute minimum required to get PA running will be.
  9. garat

Linux on Mac is still a bit of work, since they chose to not support it through Bootcamp, but it is doable. I was looking at doing the same thing then decided "meh, too much effort". But I also wasn't highly motivated.
  10. pinbender

pinbender Active Member

[q]I'll have another go at putting a Linux on my MacBook Pro.[/q]

I tried that a little while back. I installed refind for the boot manager, and managed to work around a boot error that I was able to find a fix for on the web. Unfortunately, I got to the point of having Ubuntu running, but not having valid network adapter drivers. I got to the point of finding someone who had downloaded the drivers, patched the source to match something that had changed between kernel revs, compiled it on another machine, and copied it over to get it running.

I gave and installed it on a different machine instead.
  11. mjog

mjog New Member

There's currently some OpenGL errors (See the "Linux FOSS drivers issues and fixes" thread for workarounds) but aside from that PA is working pretty well on my 13" 2011 MBP running Ubuntu's Saucy beta. As much as it can with a Intel HD3000 gpu, anyway.
  12. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

CoherentUi support update
    Version 1.5.2.0
    – released 23 Sep 2013

Feature Support for MacOS X 10.6 Snow Leopard

I don't know if this would help with PA code implementation or if it would still require complete source code rewrite.
  13. CommieKazie

CommieKazie Member

Hey everybody — Apple just released OS X Mavericks today for free. So anyone here with the 10.6 woes can update for free!
  14. aeonsim

aeonsim Active Member

Upgrades 10.6, 10.7 and 10.8 for free install via the app store.