Unplayable Lag not fps induced

Discussion in 'Support!' started by fabiotche, March 22, 2014.

1. fabiotche

fabiotche New Member

Can someone give me tips to reduce lag? Sometimes my game freezes but ctrl+P says that I'm running 60 fps. It's probably the connection right? How can I discover what is causing it?
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Correct.

Do you use WiFi or share same connection/router with any other person? This might happen if game don't have enough bandwidth to get all data.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  3. zackibs

zackibs New Member

Are there some numbers on how much bandwidth the game uses? Especially in lategame with high unit count.

I ask because i get stuttering unitmovements in lategame and use a nonshared 500 kB/s connection.
  4. SXX

SXX Post Master General

I didn't tested latest version, but before it's was 2Mb/s as normal and up to 6-7Mb/s when you see lots of units or spectate. But again this is numbers that was here before and it's hard to tell what game using in current version.

Seriously to understand what connection speed you have can you test it here ans post result?
    http://www.speedtest.net/
    Last edited: March 22, 2014
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Some actual number. With 1000 fireflies patrolling I have about 4Mbps bandwidth usage. It's can be wrong info because I have no idea how exactly Windows measure this so if I'll test proper test on Linux I'll make post with data I sure about.

PS: So maximum bandwidth usage on Windows it's 4.5-5Mbps on Windows. 2000 patrolling fireflies lagging game a lot, but bandwidth usage won't go higher.
    Last edited: March 22, 2014
  6. zackibs

zackibs New Member

Hi there, here are the results:
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/3388879101

It's roughly at 4 Mbps download speed.

Well, when there are many units involved (idk how many) but i guess like 1000+ the client isn't able to update them 'simultaneously', it more seems like it is updating a few and then moving on to the next batch of units in steps of half a second. (While zooming in and out, moving the view to another planet doesn't stutter at all, so i guess it's not a FPS problem.)

So maybe it's not enough bandwidth or bad WiFi connection, though signal strength is good and the WiFi connection itself provides a much higher bandwidth than the outgoing connection to the ISP has.
  7. warrenkc

warrenkc Active Member

Can't wait till they optimize the networking code.
  8. zackibs

zackibs New Member

It'd be interesting how it is done, especially wilth 'Galactic War' feature having 40 players.
  9. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Are you using WiFi to connect to your modem/router?
    I have noticed that even with a high end connection using WiFi can increase the ping times to the server and causes much stuttering and lag in game especially late game....
  10. maxpowerz

maxpowerz Post Master General

Also in windows 8 for me late game i have seen my network connection max out @ 7mb/s (700kb/s)..
  11. SXX

SXX Post Master General

From my experience on low bandwidth don't cause freezes in current versions, but WiFi can easily cause this. It's depends on environment a lot so if you have too many networks/devices on same channel/frequencies it's will cause more problems depends on time of day.

So I recommend you try to connect though Ethernet and check again.

Client only need to update information about units you see. So it's doesn't mater if there 2 players or 40.
    maxpowerz likes this.
  12. Daveydude

Daveydude New Member

I'm curious about this one too. I get 100Mb/sec constantly, though if I use the EU west server I get unplayable lag.

Australia server is fine, US server sometimes gives unplayable lag.