Units grade

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by anthony100000000, February 2, 2014.

1. anthony100000000

anthony100000000 New Member

Hello backers, it s anthony, and i have a idea ( i have lot of ideas for this game, i know :)

Can you make a unit grade, a battle experience for units?

for exemple, a graded unit can have more hp or speed.

A unit win a grade during a battle ( the unit must kill X number of ennemis units for win a grade )

And you can create only one grade, not a entire rank of grade for avoid the: (Yeah i am a dox with a MEGA GENERAL GRADE, i make 100 m/s and i have 9999 hp )

Give your opinion about this idea, thanks for all your reponse :)
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

Veterancy (what I think you're talking about) is not planned to be in the game.

Have a read of this, you'll find the relevant part in the later half of the post.
    cmdandy likes this.
  3. KNight

KNight Post Master General

I'm assuming you're referring to the Confirmed Features List that you forgot to link to? ;p

But yeah, No Veterancy, Neutrino has been pretty adamant about following a "What You See Is What You Get" type policy where ever possible.

Mike
    Last edited: February 2, 2014
  4. anthony100000000

anthony100000000 New Member

5. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I swear I linked it! Gah!
    EdWood likes this.
  6. stevenrs11

stevenrs11 Active Member

Definitely something that would belong in a mod , but a sort of scrap eating vulture thing would be cool. It goes along assimilating wrecks and just attached more guns/ grows.
  7. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Nothing in the game lives long enough to become experienced.

The Commander and everything he builds is already the pinnacles of technology.
  8. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

The concept is probably a good one in "theory" but in practice, I never understood it. Why a turret or artillery could somehow magically get more HP or his 50 calibre rounds suddenly do 2x more damage just because he's got 10 kills. I've seen it done in many games, but the relevant ones are Totala and SupCom. To be perfectly honest, the way it was done in supcom didn't make sense to me. The way it was done in Totala- I'm pretty sure was simply the number of kills achieved, and then a rank "veteran" after 5 kills.

I think it'd be nice if you could see the kill count on all your defense guns or tanks etc. But not to have the tank or bot or defense tower "literally grow" as a result of more kills,

On a side note, for indirect fire weapons, or anything that can miss; veterancy might give better accuracy, say by 0.01 per 1 kill maybe. Or maybe 5-10 ranks per x kills, scaling exponentially up, and an improvement of 0.01% accuracy, or 0.5% accuracy. Something like that? But that's as far as I'd be willing to go.
    anthony100000000 likes this.
  9. TheLambaster

TheLambaster Active Member

thank god ther wont be any veterancy nonsense... but kill counts for your units are always cool.
    cptconundrum likes this.
  10. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

In OTA veterancy increased accuracy. A buzzsaw, although highly inaccurate at 0 kills, could, by 350 kills, snipe anything in range with perfect accuracy. This even caused bugs. A Vulcan, after 40 kills, would overlead targets, missing every time, resulting in almost no kills.
  11. carlorizzante

carlorizzante Post Master General

Exactly. That would be a neat statistic to read at the end of the match.
  12. TheLambaster

not only at the end. kill counts are useful for getting feedback on whether a unit has paid of etc., especiaaly in casts.
    zaphodx and carlorizzante like this.
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Except the same reason that makes Veterency "bad" also rules out that usage as well. You can't work on a per-unit basis in a game with PA's scale, it just has zero practicality.

Think about it this way, you don't say "X unit got 2 kills and paid for itself" instead you're more likely to look things very "group centric", so you'd instead say "Army X has 100 units, it then fought 100 enemy units and I had 20 left afterwards" and it doesn't matter if those surviving 20 units all have zero kills because the important poart is not how many kills they have, but that He lost 100 units while you only lost 80.

Mike
  14. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

Imagine going through chronocam and being able to highlight the units that will eventually get kills...
  15. TheLambaster

you could say the same thing about supcom, and there kill counts are looked at all the time, independent from veterancy. it's especially interesting for early raiding units.
  16. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

Don't get stuck on that one specific example, having unit killcounts is very useful for looking at bombers and scampers doing early raiding, checking killcounts on artillery units and commenting on defences that have proved to be invaluable.
    aevs likes this.
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I agree being able to see the kills on units would be interesting and I'm for it with the following caveat: Only if adding it in doesn't impact server or client side performance, or otherwise negatively impact the game (e.g. massively increasing the required internet bandwidth usage). I'm concerned that with the number of units involved in PA this could equate to a significant amount of data being thrown around...

Also using these numbers to analyse effectiveness of units like a defence turret may be misleading (always a danger with any form of statistics). Say I place a laser turret at the back of my base, that all game gets 0 kills. The obvious conclusion is it was a waste of metal. The issue with that conclusion is that say in the early game my opponent is raiding me- and the turret in question is protecting a group of early t1 Pgens (which are critical in the first few minutes). He see's the turret and micro's his units to avoid it and crucially AWAY from my pgens. Had I not made it he could have raided them and set me back ultimately costing me the game.
    kayonsmit101 and vyolin like this.
  18. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

I'm no game developer, but Totala had a very subtle killcount. You'd click on a unit, it'd have the name and right under it'd have the kills, and that's it nothing else. I just thought it was a neat little feature despite ultimately not going anywhere. I don't see how it'd adversely affect game performance.

On the flip side, while I don't necessarily like all of Knight's reasoning, I do have to concede the point that when you're dealing with 2000 units per planet, 5 planets per solar system the "leveller tank has 50 kills" becomes ever so slightly superfluous.

I also, at least so far have seen (But I've been too busy to properly verify this) relative high accuracy compared to totala or sup com when it comes to big cannons firing. The simple throw-away line is "everyone's using the best technology" But I feel somehow lonely without the nagging reminder that guardians were just nice powerful guns you could sit in a line by 10 and they'd all miss their target. I guess scale is what I'm getting at there. Artillery needs to be able to miss. But if it's got 2000 kills, you just might be a little better at aiming.
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

That wasn't it. The more kills a unit got, the more accurate it go. If you're using a Bertha, a Timmy, or a Buzzsaw and allowed the kill count for them to go up, pretty soon you could snipe anything on the map with impunity.