Units Formation

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by SatanPetitCul, July 29, 2014.

1. SatanPetitCul

SatanPetitCul Active Member

I don't find any more the formation function in the UI. It has been removed ? for rework ?

This feature was useful, but not really pleasant to use because of:
    - it is impossible to make concave shape around an ennemy position
    - as the units go in the "holes", user has to spend time to draw almost perfect lines
    - the choice of the vector where the units are looking at, need also effort because if the user don t do it perfectly perpendicular all the units stack at one end of the drawn line

In conclusion, the feature was over complex and enable user only to make simple line formation.

So here it is my proposal to make this feature easier to use:
    - turn the free hand line into straight line. As it is impossible to make concave formation and it is useless to make convex formation it is better to force the user to make line.
    - remove the vector selection, by a simple click in order to tell which side of the line is the ennemy side.

please find below a talented representation of the idea :
    [​IMG]
    jonasmod likes this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I actually think these should be 2 separate tools. The reason for the units staying in a line (and you having to pick a side) is due to the units auto arranging themselves based on role (e.g. heavy units up front, ranged units at back etc).

I think a straight line tool that maintains this is good (as per your proposal, +1), and I'd also like to see a much simpler free hand formation tool that follows the paradigm set in Spring RTS. This latter tool would work as follows:

1: Select units to move
    2: Hold right mouse and drag any shape you like
    3: On release of the mouse button, units distribute themselves evenly along your shape. Units are not ordered on type and therefore do not need to establish a 'front' to the formation.

This tool is fast and is useful in a number of situations, it's mainly to be used to organise groups of single unit types.

Example where it would be good- you spot the enemy commander and you have a group of ants, if you approach in a 'blob' formation he will easily Uber cannon the lot, so you select your group and create a large semi-circle around him, hold shift and then click attack on him. The result is your tanks spread out and surround him, then converge all their weapons on him maximising damage and minimising looses due to uber cannon.
    jonasmod likes this.
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

It was removed. I'm guessing that improving it didn't make the cut for release, but that's just speculation.

If you miss the current imperfect form, I made mod that turns it on.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-enable-custom-formations.62269/
  4. aevs

aevs Post Master General

I don't think you should need to pick a side; too many clicks.
    The front should be the side facing away from your selected units, similar to how a click move command works.
    Also, holding shift should let you draw out multiple lines and split your formation across them.
    [​IMG]
    jonasmod likes this.