[Unit Suggestion] Close-combat units

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by SolitaryCheese, February 16, 2014.

?

Should we have close-combat units?

1. Yes

21 vote(s)
    56.8%
  2. No

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  3. Maybe

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  1. SolitaryCheese

SolitaryCheese Post Master General

Well, this little idea came into my mind the other day. I was thinking; what if we had close-combat units? Though, this might have been suggested before. *shrugs*
    A few examples:

The Crusader
    Basic tier
    A close-combat bot, wielding a laser infused neurosteel blade, that easily cuts through enemy bots, and a large neurosteel shield that blocks most enemy projectiles, but mostly only those of enemy bots.

The Champion

Advanced tier
    A very strong, quick moving close-combat bot, wielding a powerful hammer, fused with kinetic enegery, which the Champion can use to sweep across armies of enemy bots, striking them, and killing multiple bots at a time with kinetic shockwaves.
    The Champion also uses a short range jet pack with long recharge time to reduce the distance between him and the enemy.

So, basically, these would be anti-bot bots. Any thoughts?
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

the vanguard and inferno are already essentially close combat units
    Antiglow and SolitaryCheese like this.
  3. SolitaryCheese

Kinda true, but I was thinking more of a unit that walks all the way up to the enemy to slash/crush it with an ultra-super futuristic blade/hammer or anything.
  4. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Yea, but never bring a sword to a gunfight. Now if that gunfight includes snipers, walls, aircraft, etc. I can't see them useful unless they can withstand ungodly amounts of damage. But then

bengeocth likes this.
  5. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

Close combat units...

Like the Inferno and Vanguard?
    bengeocth likes this.
  6. SolitaryCheese

Well, some diversity never hurts. Besides, bots with swords, shields and hammers would look kinda cool. They could be also some cheap units with the purpose of wrecking bots.
  7. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

The problem is "balance". First of all, what kind of shield is it? Does it deflect, mitigate or absorb damage it? Is it wrap-around or directional? Is the shield energy based or an alloy?

This sounds like a plea for PA to become more like Warhammer 40K and less of a "This would be a great addition to the roster because of XYZ."

When it comes right down to it half of the things in your suggestion would be very hard to balance which makes it hard to consider them.
  8. SolitaryCheese

Finally, someone who brought in actual arguments, and not just "we have inferno, har, har".

Well, about the shield. Its mostly just there to be the thing that makes the unit cool, it wouldn't have much function other than aesthetics.

The thing about these guys would be that they are fast enough to reach up to bots and kill them in a single strike, while the tanks would simply kill them with their higher range.
  9. KNight

KNight Post Master General

The whole "Details about X don't matter because X doesn't have any effect" type argument is frankly just plain bad, there is no point to something if it serves no purpose.

Mike
  10. verybad

verybad Active Member

Don't think it would serve much purpose. Typically when you're playing the game, you're zoomed far enough away from the combat going on that you're not see the individual fighting. Would be a waste of time for the animators, and I siuspect hard to balance so they're useful without being OP.

Additionally would have more problems with pathing than most units I am willing to bet.
  11. RMJ

RMJ Active Member

i would like you see some huge tall melee bots, that can taking a pounding, they would be kinda like a movable wall or shield if you will. towering over the battlefield. But they can only attack if they get into like melee range, then they will be able to throw enemy units back
  12. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

The real problem here is in animating the melee bots. Projectiles can easily be programmed to come out of a barrel and explode onto a hit box, with the explosion covering up any irregularities. Melee bots need to make actual contact and will need a tighter hit box to look good.

On top of that, the networking/chronocam code doesn't actually specify that kind of animation information, from what I remember. They just send unit speed and direction and let the client handle the animation. That means things like sword position aren't actually part of the sim.
  13. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

mod material.

Replace all units with sword bots lol
  14. cptconundrum

Probably can't be done convincingly by mods if the engine can't support it.
  15. arseface

arseface Post Master General

I would play that mod so hard, but I'd expect vehicles to have spears and aircraft to have bows.

I invite you to play this game called MNC. It has an assassin with a magic katana that hits way more than it should. And it looked sexy.
  16. cptconundrum

The networking code for a game like MNC has to be completely different. Obviously games can be made to support melee combat, but that's not what I'm saying. PA networking code needs to send much less data per unit. If it was trying to track data on the position of every moving part on a unit, the sim would end up just crawling along. They've been able to get it running faster than that by sending the client just the unit's position, speed, and direction as well as the orientation and movement direction of the turret. You might be able to treat the sword as a turret, but again you run into problems with a looser hit box than games that are designed to be seen up close with fewer objects on screen at a time.
  17. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

Pretty much this. Animation work for melee is hard. That's why even the close range bots use some kind of projectile weapon.
  18. arseface

arseface Post Master General

You're missing the point. There is no need to track the moving parts. At all. Just have a .5 distance invisible aoe hurtbox.

In MNC, the sword hit an area that was nowhere even close to what the blade was actually hitting. As far as I can tell, it did not check for collision with the blade, it just generated a hurtbox like a really close range projectile.

I think I talk for a fair portion of the people who'd like sword bots when I say it doesn't have to look realistic, the animation doesn't need to be super complicated, and that we aren't looking for perfection. A simple hammer movement from the mario games would be more than sufficient, and that can't be much harder than making a walking animation.
  19. shotforce13

shotforce13 Well-Known Member

Give me a bot with a armored riot shield and shotgun and im game ;) be like a vanguard for bots.
  20. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

The melee bots should have a jump-pack that lets them leap to their targets (almost) instantly and perhaps jump over walls.

otherwise there is no point.
    sword-------distance--------gun --> gun wins.
    sword--gun --> sword wins.

There should be a melee commander that swings his blade in arc, taking many units out in just one swing.
    He would have a ton of health as a trade for his range.

Bombers? Raise your shields!! (actual hand-shields, not the topic that has been discussed a million times already)