Unit Count

Discussion in 'Backers Lounge (Read-only)' started by broadsideet, March 7, 2013.

1. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

Hello, I have been lurking the forum for a while now, but never felt that I had enough to contribute to post. This, however, is a question/concern that I have.

When reading the blog post today, I noticed this snippet:
    This concerns me because I was under the impression that there would be a much, much larger collection of units. Perhaps I misunderstood all of the discussions about 1 faction ----> tons of units? Maybe I am being too picky? Anyways, I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were about this.

Thanks,
    Broadside
  2. lollybomb

lollybomb Member

Looking over the unit sheet I pulled out from my copy of SupCom:FA, the unit count seems comparable. Not exact, but not far off either. Plus SupCom had 3 tech levels while this is only going to have 2. I don't think it's anything to worry about.
  3. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

If we said that it was in error. This is most definitely not all of the units.
  4. broadsideet

broadsideet Active Member

Thank you for the clarification, Neutrino. I thought that was the case (and if it wasn't, I would just have been being stingy/unappreciative)

Anyways, the units that are there definitely look great!
  5. tigerwarrior

tigerwarrior Active Member

This is a "BIG UPDATE". This is the first public view of the start of the armies you'll use to wage war across the galaxy. These are all grey box/first pass <-- i believe he may be referring to this, which we havent seen yet, will this big update still be revealing all, or just most the units?
  6. Devak

Devak Post Master General

I am pretty sure you meant to add "we have so far" to that statement. (thats how i read it anyway: all units we have so far)
  7. RCIX

RCIX Member

The PA Blog post on the unit whiteboxing definitely has a phrase to the effect of "We finished a whiteboxing of all of our game units which you can see below" (emphasis mine).
  8. insanityoo

insanityoo Member

Then it was an error.
    Was there really any need for the "Hey, look! Look right here! It's here! Hey! Hey Look!" post?
  9. RCIX

RCIX Member

Yes, that way they can fix it.
  10. Nelec

Nelec Member

I don't think we should be worrying about the unit count just yet, considering that the tech 2 factories were pretty much bigger versions of the tech 1 ones. Also that half the things were not even textured. :)
  11. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

The Stream said it was about 75% of the units. Seeing them all laid out there like that it doesn't really seem like that many guys. Like from TA days when there was 12 kbots and 12 tanks instead of about 4 kbots and 4 tanks etc.

Obviously this isn't all of them and they will put in as many units as is appropriate instead of being stuck to this one thing they said in a stream this one time. But it seems the current implied plan doesn't have as many guys as i thought it would.

I also remember the days of talking about 1 faction with nearly double the units, obviously that wouldn't really work in game because of the huge double ups but... well more.
  12. RCIX

RCIX Member

75% of the units they have planned for early alpha /facepalm

We backed them for 2.2 million and have been in(?)directly promised a huge unit pool, you think 20 buildings and units each will cut it? :p
  13. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Don't forget, in many cases "Units" includes structures, and on the White Box sheet you have a lot of the basic things, Like factories, Mexes and (assorted) Pgens and such, a quick count of the units present makes it about 75 units actually(rather convenient! xD) so that means there are still about 25 units not present, considering there is already a fair few Air units and Naval units, I would expect a fair number of these last 25 units to be going into Tanks/Bots along with potentially more defense types and other assorted unit types(Air/Naval/Orbital) so I think we'll see things nicely flesh out over time as things get rounded out and specific needs are revealed.

Actually, given my assumptions, 100 units would actually be a fairly large number. Look at SupCom/FA, each faction has about 100 units including structures, but because of the 3 Tier system you get a LOT of overlap, and do to the power gap between tiers you tend to be focusing on units from a single Tier for the most part(transitioning as you Eco grows and such) so I think in the end we'll have a much bigger viable selection when compared to SupCom/FA.

Mike
  14. RCIX

RCIX Member

even 30 or 40 units and structures each is still +50-100% more units, meaning that 75% is off by a large margin =p

This is all quibbling numbers when we don't have definitive answers though, so I think this is the last I'll say.
  15. KNight

KNight Post Master General

....What? I don't get your math here.

Mike
  16. RCIX

RCIX Member

20 units+20 structures is 40 units; 30 units + 30 structures is 60, 40+40 is 80 (no duh). 20 units of 30 is 66% at best. Those are ballparks, but the point is there will be more coming given that we didn't even see everything they have planned for alpha never mind units coming later.