Ubutnu Issues

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by Mattymooz, October 2, 2013.

1. Mattymooz

Mattymooz New Member

I'm having some serious issues running Planetary Annihilation with Ubuntu :(. Originally, I had an issue with the program not running by starting it through steam or in the applications window. It always came up with the message 'This app is already running'. Thankfully, there was a work around for this on a thread in a bug report (FS#2100) telling me to run this command :

Code:
    LD_PRELOAD=new_glibcxx_for_pa/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6 ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/PlanetaryAnnihilation/PA

Although there were still framerate issues and the fact that it would not go fullscreen, it was an OK fix if you are having these issues. However, as of yesterdays patch, not only does it still not work through steam, but this manual work around does not work either. Instead, I just get this error message :

Code:
    ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/PlanetaryAnnihilation/PA: error while loading shared libraries: libboost_regex.so.1.49.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
    If anyone knows a way to fix this it would be greatly appreciated. I have made a bug report FS#2325, but I was just wondering if it was a widespread issue over multiple linux/ubuntu systems or just mine. Hopefully this will be fixed soon :)

-Matt
    Last edited: October 2, 2013
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

You need to install libboost-regex 1.49.
    See hvhp's post.
    Although it's kind of strange. That dependency was supposed to be fixed in the latest build (54574).
  3. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Actually it's fixed:
    Code:
     0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [librt.so.1]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libpthread.so.0]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libX11.so.6]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libGL.so.1]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libXcursor.so.1]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libcurl.so.4]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libfmodevent64-4.44.16.so]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libfmodex64-4.44.16.so]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libCoherentUI.so]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libstdc++.so.6]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libm.so.6]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libgcc_s.so.1]
    0x0000000000000001 (NEEDED)            Shared library: [libc.so.6]
    Just download new version of game, it's will work.
  4. Mattymooz

Mattymooz New Member

I can confirm that the latest build has still not fixed this issue for me :/

I'll try that, thanks!
  5. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Can you open PA directory in terminal, run this command:
    Code:
    readelf -d PA
    And then check output for deps.

Thanks.
  6. natewiebe13

natewiebe13 New Member

7. UberWilliam

UberWilliam Uber Alumni

There are two issues here, one has been fixed and I have a potential fix for the other.

1 - I accidentally added a dependency on libboost_regex-mt in build 54497. I switched to the static library in build 54574 (which went out yesterday), so this one should be fixed.

2 - I somehow screwed up my compatibility testing when I tested switching our linux build machine from Ubuntu 12.04 to Ubuntu 13.04 in order to pick up GCC 4.7. Turns out, that the stock GCC 4.7 on Ubuntu 13.04 generates binaries that depend on newer standard libraries than Ubuntu 12.04 ships with. (I am astonished as to how much detail about your build machine leaks into the build output. But that is a rant for another time.) This change had two problems: Ubuntu 12.04 users can't run the game and the Steam launcher can't run our game ('cause it uses a custom runtime w/ GCC 4.6 stuff).

After talking to Valve, one of their chaps pointed out that Canonical back-ports newer GCCs to older Ubuntu releases. He suggested that I download

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-toolchain-r/+archive/test/+files/libstdc++6-4.7-dbg_4.7.3-2ubuntu1~12.04_amd64.deb

and pull the libstdc++.so out of that and put it with our executable. My little bit of testing in a 12.04 VM worked, so I'm thinking that is a solution. I'm in the process of installing Steam on my home machine so I can test to see if this fixes steam launches. If so, I'll get it rolled into our next build (probably tomorrow, but not promises).

If anyone is too eager to wait, you should be able to do the same. Just use "ar xv" to crack open the .deb, then "tar xvf" to crack open the data.tar.gz, then hunt around for the .so. Put it right next to the PA executable and let us know what happens.
    Mattymooz likes this.
  8. rooly

rooly New Member

static linking should pose no GPL licensing issues, in case that becomes a worry.
    see here:
    http://gcc.gnu.org/onlinedocs/libstdc /manual/license.html
  9. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

my advice resist the temptation to update your build machine anymore.
  10. UberWilliam

UberWilliam Uber Alumni

word that.

By the way, I just tested dropping the 12.04 version of libstdc++.so.6 from the .deb in my Steam download directory and it was able to launch. It will be included in the next build to go out.
    SXX and Mattymooz like this.
  11. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

lol :D stopped updating my archlinux box last year and it is still more current that 12.04, these damn cutting edge linux distros
  12. Mattymooz

Mattymooz New Member

I found the issue with the update not working. Turns out, Steam hadn't actually updated the files, so I just deleted all the PA related files and re-installed it. Now it works using the manual method, but doesn't have a cursor :/ Thanks for the help though guys!
  13. MCXplode

MCXplode Active Member

yeah I delete my entire PA directly every time I update and re-extract the files. Don't even bother having steam installed to linux, have one version of steam installed to windows 7 on only one of my boxes, only used it to convert PA key to steam and crosslink to ubernet and thats it still run it directly.
  14. SXX

SXX Post Master General

What hardware do you have?

Also this is issue FS#1595, there is link to workaround too.
  15. Mattymooz

Mattymooz New Member

Yeah, I have Intel Intergrated Graphics instead of a graphics card so it looks like it is an issue with that rather than linux.
  16. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Nope, it's issue with Mesa in general. I'm also have it on AMD cards with open source drivers.
    But you can easily bypass the problem using debugger method I linked on tracker.

Also if you want to play PA on open source drivers you have to get most recent userspace possible with most recent kernel possible. A long as I know you still can install 3.11 kernel on 12.04.

For userspace use this PPA:
    https://launchpad.net/~xorg-edgers/ archive/ppa
    Last edited: October 5, 2013