[UberEnt] What will the next 6 months look like?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Pawz, September 3, 2012.

1. Pawz

Pawz Active Member

Hey guys,

I'm really excited to see the kickstarter goal met, and I love the stretch goals. As a backer though, I have a few questions on how things are going to pan out over the next six months.

I realize of course that we're in an unprecedented situation here. I don't believe there's ever been a commercial scale game project of this complexity funded through kickstarter, where you end up with a huge list of fans with, from what I understand, a prototype engine, a nice concept video & artwork, and a whole bunch of awesome ideas. Just the fact that you've got 26,000 people watching you work has got to be a little intimidating. I mean, we get cranky when we don't get updates over a weekend :D let alone the months ahead. Throw into the mix the odd scenario here where you are truly free to do what you want (development is paid for up front, not dependent on future sales) and I figure we're way off the beaten path in the game development world. Which is a fantastic opportunity, not to mention it could very well blaze the way for an entirely new style of game development methodology.

So my question is, what's the plan? What are the next six to twelve months going to look like for us? I'm not looking for promises here, but insight into the process, things you believe will be a challenge, how you're thinking of handling PR, how much of the 'internals' of the development are going to exposed, and so on.
  2. heatsurge

heatsurge New Member

I don't think they know either. What I'd like is some streamlined way of giving feedback. The forums are WAY too chaotic. Maybe a series of polls or something?...
  3. allot

allot Member

Yeah. They don't know much either. To begin with they will develop concept and start basic engine programming is my guess.
  4. al3xtec

al3xtec Member

:lol:

when we get our alpha / beta discussion board I'm sure it will be alot better

Ps I fkn love SWAT CATS!!!
  5. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

What I really hope is that they will announce the start of alpha and beta a few weeks ahead. I need to make sure I have vacation for this.
  6. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Oh so you already talked to them about it?

Come on guys, they may not know the best things to do in this situation, but to say they don't have a plan is just.......well stupid really.

Thing is the plan could be ANYTHING, they aren't tied down by ANY restrictions, we could see monthly, or even weekly, or even just whenever they have a minute updates, we're just going to have to wait it out.

Mike
  7. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

Now that the project is real we are in the process of figuring this out.

The first part of development isn't going to be horribly interesting because it involves a lot of tech development. We will be making some sort of progress updates though. I'll probably blog about some code stuff too (mavorsrants.com)
  8. Hydrofoil

Hydrofoil Member

Well as a Computer science student looking to get in the business at some point id really love a little incite into the development process on how you guys are going to go about it. But ill just be happy if you keep us in the loop with monthly updates lol :p
  9. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

In general we use a interative scrum like process. We do daily standup meetings in the morning with the entire company.

On the tech side we break it into systems. We though figure out a rough architecture for each of them.

On some occasions there is actual R&D involved. For example I have certain ideas about how I want the terrain to work but I need to verify them through some research first.
  10. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Next few months are going to look like sunny beaches in Aruba!

At least that'll be my desktop image as we're unlikely to see much sunlight for a while otherwise.
  11. Frostiken

Frostiken Member

12. yinwaru

yinwaru New Member

Ferraris for everyone!
  13. bgolus

bgolus Uber Alumni

Aw yeah... We're all going to be riding around in these babies.
    [​IMG]