Uber, why do nuclear missiles cost twice as much as halleys?

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by tehtrekd, September 7, 2014.

1. tehtrekd

tehtrekd Post Master General

UBER, WHY DO NUCLEAR MISSILES COST TWICE AS MUCH AS HALLEYS?
    0.png
    UBER, WHY DO NUCLEAR MISSILES COST TWICE AS MUCH AS HALLEYS!??!!
    *ah-hem*

Yeah I'm slightly miffed about this. I mean, just think about how baffling this is.

You need to destroy a minimum of 100,800 metal just for a nuclear missile to be worth it from an investment standpoint, in a relatively small blast radius.
    Most planet smashes don't even destroy that much, but they make up for it by being very good commander destroyers.

It takes two nuclear missiles (187,200 metal minimum!!) to kill a commander. Most halley-able moons only take three halleys (120,000 metal)
    I really don't think Uber thought through the pricing of nukes :/ they're just not powerful enough to justify the price. This is what a MIRV nuke should cost, not a regular IPBM.
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Agreed, they're absolutely worthless right now. Overnerfed to the max. :/
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

This is partially incorrect; the missile cost is 50,000 (and anti-nuke ammo is 6,750); the UI hacks didn't get updated.
    websterx01 and killerkiwijuice like this.
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

the missile cost has been slowly creeping down over time, but yeah. It needs to be brought way down
  5. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

It's 50K for the missile. Which is still too much imo.

I liked it in beta when it was 28k. It added spice to the games and was even an extra strategy to rush a nuke.
  6. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

I'm good with cheap nukes so long as anti-nukes are balanced for that cost.

back in beta, they weren't. at all.
  7. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

What if the interplanetary nuke and normal nuke were two different missiles?...........na, it could never work.
  8. nixtempestas

this was originally the idea I think but uber decided not to bother with that (they talked about it a bit in the livestream)

I agree it would be nice though. Should be moddable.
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Nukes come from a factory. The benefit in that is build efficiency, mass production, not limiting to a vital resource (spends an entire planet of a particular detail type.

You can build one halley with tons of fabbers fast, that is no lie. It takes less fabbers to assist several factories of nukes, and fire one periodically. Periodic nukes will destroy a larger base than a meteor impact, because you can spread it across the surface.
  10. nixtempestas

also: "build_metal_cost":32400
  11. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I guess Uber felt the nuke wars of beta were not good gameplay. They did get a bit excessive but I miss when we saw strategic defensive nukes, nuke hail marys, etc. I don't want to go back to nuke wars but I think they need to come down a good deal more. Also on the subject of over-nerfs: I really miss the days of effective T2 tank air drops. Those were hard to pull off and added a lot of excitement to matches.
  12. thetrophysystem

Dude, if you drop a vanguard onto a commander, he is still dead.

The problem, is the cost of rushing him with enough that he doesn't shoot it down (because he has AA now).

In that reguard, make the pelican able to survive a shot of commander AA. Glad they nerfed it's ROF btw.
  13. philoscience

True. Although I'm actually thinking more about the days of dropping a vanguard on a T2 power strip and tanking the enemies economy. Vanguards have been nerfed a lot and the only time I saw someone go for a drop it was totally ganked by enemy ground forces. We used to see whole tournies revolving around them but I can't think of a recent casted match where a drop mattered.
  14. thetrophysystem

Whole tournies revolving around stuff just pisses me off.

I see them now, they are usually "classic" moves, and that adds all that much more value to them.

Next time I play, if I t2 veh, I will consider t2 air as well just to try to execute this classic maneuver.
  15. philoscience

I think you misunderstand what i'm trying to say. I didn't mean that tournaments should revolve around them, just that they are very rare now. I think it was more exciting when they were viable enough to appear at least on semi-regular basis. Probably the transport or vangaurd just needs to be buffed slightly.
  16. thetrophysystem

Idk, I suggested pelican survival (health buff), because of the cost including tech investment of the two.

But here is an interesting buff: Get rid of the double-factory investment requirement.

That's right, make pelicans t2 vehicle factory buildable. Like, put that in your pipe and smoke it, swig it around, and just taste it for a moment. That is the perfect t2 vehicle unit.
  17. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

The current cost of Nukes (50000) is actually reasonable, in my opinion. I think the nuke launcher needs to be dropped to 10k, but that's just me wanting for an easy calculation for Superweapon cost balanced.