Uber, please, test your UI on different monitors

Discussion in 'Support!' started by Teod, May 22, 2014.

1. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

zweistein000 likes this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The UI is planned for at least 720p (judging by the code). It's not about testing, but rather about the not supporting 4:3 properly anymore. Which is not that hard to understand, looking at how even cheap screens by now are widescreen.
  3. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

My monitor is 5:4 - even squarer than 4:3. And I probably won't buy a different one until it stops working...
  4. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

The minimum resolution to play PA is 1280 x 720.
  5. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Will this change later? Or will dualscreen support support 4:3. My second monitor is a 4:3 monitor so yeahh ^^
  6. cola_colin

As long as you have one widescreen for the UI it is fine.
    Remy561 likes this.
  7. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Best idea for you might be to letterbox it then. You're gonna lose screen space, but you can't reasonably expect for anyone to support 4:3 or 5:4 these days in mainstream consumer technology.
  8. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

1280x1024 and 1280x960 are above the minimum resolution. -Nitpick
  9. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The UI is moddable. Make/get a mod where the UI looks fine at 4:3. Theoretically, it just means smaller buttons created and stored in the live icons, as well as tweaking positions in the html file that generates the UI, no?
  10. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

And every extensive change to the UI will break your mod, or your mod will break the game. Fun.
  11. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

N
    Mine is 1280x1024 and I still get the buttuns cut in half in the score screen.
  12. ashor

ashor New Member

Ive been playing the game fine on a 4:3 monitor, due to a neurlogical disorder, i cant use flat screens, LCD/Plasma/LED etc, and widscreen CRT's are very hard to find. I do expect every game to support 4:3 these days in mainstream consumer technology, almost all do. And if they dont, they need to cleary state that in the requirements. Its not that hard to get them to change the UI to fit my needs. I have paid them after all, and the 1280x720 resolution wasnt mentioned to be a requirement anywhere, so why should i assume i need that? I run all my games at 1600x1200. If i try running a widescreen res, my monitor goes a funny blue color, because it cant really support it.
  13. popededi

popededi Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that, I don't want to be digging in your private life, so I won't mind if you don't answer, but I'm just curious, what causes you problems in LCD/Plasma screens, that CRT doesn't?

My previous post turned out to be a bit argumentative, sorry about that.

What I was trying to say, is that I, and most industry professionals around me, consider 4:3 screens in general to be legacy technology, that's not always worth supporting. The only fields I can think of where 4:3 is widely used are iPads (on tablets I think it's actually way more practical to keep 4:3, apart from movies), and professional events (my field), where it takes a while to phase out old equipment due to the investment size, and a boatload of other factors I'm too lazy to type out.

So what I meant to say is that I wouldn't have been surprised if in widespread consumer technology no one supported 4:3 these days, as it's been widely out of use when it comes to screens in people's homes.

One last question, have you tried projectors? It might be a good alternative for you if you don't have peoblems with them.
  14. cola_colin

I would assume that the UI doesnt look that broken on 1600x1200?
  15. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Any chance you have non-standard DPI forced in your system?
  16. Teod

Teod Well-Known Member

1280x1024 is more than 1280x720.
    I don't think so.
  17. n00n

n00n Active Member

And most (of the less cheap) models can be used portrait. But this orientation is currently unusable in PA.
  18. cola_colin

Who would play in portrait mode? o_O
    I can understand people who have old screens for financial reasons. But portrait mode?
  19. n00n

n00n Active Member

No one, as you can't. My point was that narrow aspect ratios are very much available.

Is it really that crazy? I use portrait from time to time and can see little down side to using it while playing a game where you're circling a sphere (unlike a FPS where horizontal FOV is obviously more important).
    Last edited: May 23, 2014
  20. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Someone who have lovely monitor mount arm for example. :rolleyes:

I don't use it now, but before It's was damn useful to split mine 1920x1200 into two peaces of 960x1200. Linux allow easy handling for any crazy configurations so you can play game and leave something else on other part of monitor. :D

PS: As example it's just cool if you want to read forums a lot.
    forum_1200x1920.jpg
    Last edited: May 23, 2014