Tutorial Request and my Experience as a total noob

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by swizzlewizzle, October 9, 2014.

1. swizzlewizzle

swizzlewizzle Active Member

My request:
    1. A basic "getting started" guide that includes tips on how to set up your dev environment, how to debug any errors that one creates and how to set up a basic mod that does something simple to the game.

2. A tutorial explaining how to bring a model straight from 3ds max into the game. Perferably a model that uses multi textures in a composite/multi-texture format (how to merge the texture and create the team colors textures from it would be great!!!).

Ok so my experience as a total noob trying to throw together a quick mod test:

I want to figure out how to set up my mod and get it working ingame. It's a server mod. Go to the modding reference/guide thread (https://forums.uberent.com/threads/pa-modding-reference-guides-applications-tools.48136/) but don't find any "starting up" guide of some sort. Worried I have no idea how to debug anything, what sort of dev environment I should be using.

I go and download the realm balance mod since it's also a server mod and adds a new model or two (my goal). After downloading, I copy the file structure and get my "mod" (just a cut down version of realm balance using a few of their files to make sure my mod is in) working. Seems to work. Removing units also seems to work. Yay.

Next step, I need to convert my model to something that I can add to PA. I check out the papa thread (https://forums.uberent.com/threads/reference-papadump-exe-papatran-exe.48386/) and notice I need a papa file (seems to be converted by a FBX file made by 3ds max??) and a few PNG files (looks like the textures from the model).

I load up my model in 3ds max and save it out as a FBX. My model's textures are basically a multi material consisting of 4 seperate TGA. However, I have no idea how to merge these together into a single PNG that PA wants. :(

Anyways, I substitute my FBX file for the assault bot one copied from the main PA install. Boot up the game and then I crash when trying to build the unit. No error report or anything comes up.. just "disconnected from server".

So now i'm here, wanting to make a few tutorial requests.

:)
  2. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

3. swizzlewizzle

I've kind of got everything set up for 3ds max.. is it really that much of a problem?
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Yes.

Only the blender importer/exporter works without issues without converting to papa format (provided that none of your bones are rotated). All other methods either don't work or have issues of varying magnitudes.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  5. swizzlewizzle

6. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Don't worry about it too much, Blender is a free program and their should be a format you can export to from 3Ds Max that blender can import, mesh wise that is.

The issue is papatran just doesn't seem to work for most people with models, many people can get textures through it simple enough.