Turrets and Immobility

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by RCIX, March 27, 2013.

1. RCIX

RCIX Member

As I understand it, one of many reasons turrets were meh to bad in SupCom (depending on the kind; aa turrets were a lot more useful) is that they were entirely immobile and unable to react to base changes. So how about a way to slowly reposition turrets somehow?

(yay for turret being too common a word to search -.-)
  2. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

I'm sorry, but I have no idea what you're trying to say. Turrets were structures, so yes they couldn't move. But I don't know what you mean be base changes.
  3. RCIX

RCIX Member

I.E. the point defense turret you built early is useless 4 minutes later when your base expands to the size that said turret would only fire on armies overrunning your base.
  4. paulusss

paulusss Active Member

Early turrets standing behind building, due to expanding your base for more capacity ect.
    Moving turrets would be the solution, but in SubCom you could detroy the turrets for mass and energy and place new ones, i personally wouldn't go for moving turrets, just think ahead and place the turrets (base defenses) abit further away from base construction sites, you don't really need to have them very close since the commander defends the base aswell.
  5. kryovow

kryovow Well-Known Member

turrets are pretty strong in Supreme Commander tbh. It might be, that turrets are a little weaker in PA, because they cannot be shielded, but therefore they could get higher range or health.... I dont see a necessity in moving turrets.
  6. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

I've invented a Mobile turret guys!

's called a TANK!

I'm a Genius!
  7. RCIX

RCIX Member

On that note, I'd be in favor of deployable tanks in lieu of turrets. But since it seems we are getting turrets as such...
  8. nanolathe

Learn where to place turrets more efficiently?

Reclaim the ones you're not using?
  9. BulletMagnet

BulletMagnet Post Master General

This.

With SupCom, reclaim anything you're not using.

I see no reason why this won't also be true for PA.
  10. gerstorm

gerstorm New Member

There will be no shield generators ???????????????????????? ://////////////////////
  11. nanolathe

There will not. At least not in the same way as you expect them.
    Read here for more info.

Am I the new Mike?

-Nanolathe
  12. bobucles

bobucles Post Master General

I don't know how someone can have 500 posts here, a thousand more on the Supcom forums, and NOT know about reclaim.
  13. nanolathe

He knows about it. He just dislikes doing it for some reason.
  14. yogurt312

yogurt312 New Member

I've often found those redundant turrets to stop being so redundant at times of urgency. If something sneaks in a low level turret can really help mitigate what could be some significant damage.
  15. nanolathe

As long as the unit cap or available landmass doesn't get in the way there is absolutely no reason to reclaim your old turrets. They are built-in redundancy for your front line and that's a good thing when it comes to military tactics.
  16. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

Turrets were not bad in supcom.

If you want mobile defense then build vehicles.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

If anything the seraphim T2 turrets could be conceivably be a little too powerful.

But I do like my GAAT guns, rapid firing down swarms of enemy's and with enough HP to rival even the T2 tanks.

Hammer artillery (More like assault) bots were great here, having enough HP for a T1 unit to be used en-mass to destroy pesky turrets, arcing shells over dead comrades and hills, and when in the right position they could even use cover like infantry to avoid the point defence laser turrets.

Id love to see a T1 assault unit like that again.
  18. KNight

KNight Post Master General

Yup as said, If you need to move a structure, Reclaim and Rebuild(or both at the same time)
    Or just build MOAR TANKS and keep some at home.

Mike
  19. godde

godde Well-Known Member

Turrets could be transportable.
  20. bmb

bmb Well-Known Member

I know some people are of the delusion that you shouldn't build turrets due to cost but turrets were so powerful that even one could make a huge difference if placed correctly.

This is one of the qualities of supcom to me, between shields and OP turrets and walls a good base defence is virtually impregnable to attack, mitigating the power of the blobs of units that otherwise form. Forcing some level of strategy to attackers other than "barge through the front door guns blazing".

The downside is, was, and should always be that poor placement is forever, and that covering all fronts is impractical. Moving turrets around is completely against that.