Turning the moon into a battle moon

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by thedeserttiger, August 30, 2012.

?

Would you like a Battle moon in PA?

Poll closed September 30, 2012.
  1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. No

2 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Maybe

6 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. thedeserttiger

thedeserttiger New Member

I have always dreamed about a game that i can turn the moon itself into a weapon like how it was in a cartoon i watched when i was younger "Shadow Raiders: War Planets" how the moon in that show had this mega death laser and it had huge rockets on it so it could be moved around space. and this just seems like the game that could make this dream come true :D. i just hope we get something like this idea where over time i can land on a moon then put like 20 rockets on it to move it around the planet but also have a death laser to destory peoples bases with.
    Last edited: August 31, 2012
  2. thedeserttiger

Anyone else think this would be a cool idea? or want to add something to make this a cool idea.
  3. Spooky

Spooky Member

that's no moon
  4. wolfox007

wolfox007 New Member

"Death Laser" and "Moving around with moon" sounds like something from Duck Tales. No offense.
  5. thedeserttiger

no idea what that is but this is what i am thinking about

Attached Files:

6. Spooky

Spooky Member

7. wolfox007

wolfox007 New Member

Constructing something of this scale would requie insane ammouns of materials and time (probably years) to build. Even if you would do that, i still cant imagine how to "move around" with 73 500 000 000 000 000 000 tons of rock and its inertial potencial.
  8. nateious

nateious Active Member

They aren't shooting for realism, they are shooting for awesome :D

On that note, any weapons I can fire from one moon (or planet) at another will be pretty cool. If I can move that moon around with giant rockets, that's just icing on the cake.
    Last edited: August 30, 2012
  9. thedeserttiger

i just mean the concept of this idea but yes it would most likely if they did something like this high/end game tech
  10. wolfox007

wolfox007 New Member

True, but propelling asteroid using gravity sligsho is based on realistic idea, flying around on moon with installed death ray.. sorry, i just cant accept that :D
  11. thedbp

thedbp Member

I'll just post my illustration here too.

[​IMG]
  12. thedeserttiger

Hmm same idea but you want to make something from scrach and i want to turn the moon into a deathstar but all in all the "deathstar" idea would be fun to destroy planets with.
  13. mortiferusrosa

mortiferusrosa Member

you can still, under the same argument, use gravity slingshot to move a moon, you just need more than 9 engines because it is more massive and escaping the planetary gravity well would be difficult. I can see someone in one of those super long games building an offensive moon base.

Then there is sometimes all you need to do is sneak a commander onto a planet or moon, build a few engines and nudge the celestial body into a decaying orbit! :twisted:
  14. ghargoil

ghargoil New Member

I'd like engine support for super-massive planetary / moon-based stationary weapons of doom, but I'm not too keen on them being necessary in the base game. It really depends on how plausible they are, and how they are balanced.
  15. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

I think the super doom laser idea is already in there, cant exactly remember where but I seem to remember a dev saying that "crashing an asteroid into a planet isn't the only option", that you could fit big-*** guns on the thing and position it in orbit above an enemy base and open fire, using far less energy than reaching planet-smashing velocity =P
  16. dmii

dmii Member

Really, I don't like the idea of a death star, because it doesn't fit to what is already established. (And honestly, death stars are kind of boring.)
    Launching an asteroid into a planet is the established final superweapon, you can't really go past that in size withouth screwing up what people expect from the game.

What I would expect from a battle moon in this game would be something like an interplanetary artillery station or something like that.

Also moving around a moon is probably the biggest waste of resources you can do, because it takes a lot to accelerate a giant ball of mass.
  17. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

HERESY!

Awesome, not realism! =P
    If it's a viable srategy, and perhaps you want to steal a metal-right area from an enemy instead of, oh I don't know, turning it into a giant lava-filled crater, moving a moon bristling with MAC guns pointed at the base wouldn't be the worst plan, even if it needs some monumental power generators!
  18. dmii

dmii Member

Come on, it's a metal ball in space. The only visually impressive thing about it is its size and the laser when it is actually firing. Not to mention that any implementation of a death star is overpowered because that's the whole concept of a death star. (And the original one has a weakness on the outside, which allows you to blow it up with two shots out of an aequivalent to a small fighter jet. Which basically makes it a giant design flaw.)
  19. chrishaldor

chrishaldor Member

I didn't say it wasn't stupid =P
  20. mafoon

mafoon Member

This needs to happen, all you gotta do is time the nudge into a decaying orbit and another planet and pick up the moon into a stable orbit, wouldn't require massive thrust (still loads but within reason) and the perfect timing which would all be automated if your tech is high enough.