Truly Dead games you still play

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by boatswaine, May 30, 2014.

1. boatswaine

boatswaine New Member

There are plenty of them out there, I figure I'll share my abridged list. Keep it to multiplayer games.

• Total Annihilation - 17 and a half years old!
    • Mechassault 2 - Somehow the Xbox servers are still running
    • Mechwarrior 4 - Worse than MW3
    • Mechwarrior: Living Legend - Killed by MWO
    • Tribes: Ascend - Still twitching
    • C&C: TibSun - Miraculously still twitching
    • Magicka - Cursed networking
    • Achron - Stillbirth
    • Warhammer 40k: Space Marine - Still twitching
  2. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

SMNC: Low Playerbase, good game.

MNC: Low playerbase, Xbox "better" version of TF2

Street Fighter 4: Kinda not dead, actually a new one coming out

C&C Renegade: Low playerbase and 12 years old

Renegade X: Still in beta but low playerbase and based off a niche 12 year old game

Star Control, Star Control 2 (Ur Quan Masters): Both rather old and niche and have strong small communities, including an individual working on a 3d port we all hope will come "eventually"

Terraria: Might not be considered dead

OpenRA: New port of old game

Megaman Legends: Really, it is a single player game, but is dead and has a fairly strong community backing for it, you hear about people support it a lot.

Runescape: Big, but no longer in golden age.
  3. Geers

Geers Post Master General

Off the top of my head, War of the Monsters. Best fighting game ever. Also Zork. I'm sure there's more that I can't remember right now.
  4. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

SMNC and Loadout
  5. arseface

arseface Post Master General

Heroes of Might and Magic 3 - old
    Frozen Synapse - dead
    Touhou 12.3 - never quite alive
    Touhoumon - never alive at all
    Faeria - so dead I play the physical version
    naphid likes this.
  6. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

W40k: Space Marine (if you want to drag me online with that, find me on Steam!). Easily an underrated title.

Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri. Enough said.

Star Wars Battlefront 2 (can't remember if that's being saved from GameSpy or not).

Rome: Total War.

Most of my other games are mainly SP, so you can throw in the Half Life series (which I'm currently replaying, including Blue Shift and OpFor), Doom, Star Wars: Dark Forces, Civilisation 1 (when I'm in the mood), Star Wars: Jedi Knight (and sequels).
  7. Geers

I got really excited right after the Star Wars sale because all the servers were full. But then i checked later and they were back to almost completely empty.

On the plus side it works just fine.
  8. thebigpill

thebigpill Well-Known Member

9. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

One that I still keep flitting back to on occasion is Pharaoh.
  10. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War (Vanilla)
    I got this back again in the THQ humble bundle last year, but is was the first PC game I ever played. Some people in my university started playing it again lately so I got back into playing, even though I suck.

Alien Swarm
    Not so much lately, but me and Maf played a fair bit of this while travelling, and I was trying to make a map in the SDK for it (I got pretty far in making it, but in the end lack of incentive because that game was a failure made me stop)

Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed
    It has a stupid clunky name and it's nothing special, but it's a dumb karting game and the PC doesn't have so many of those. Also, I have to pretend I like Sonic now I'm working at SEGA over summer.

SMNC
    Kinda stopped now, but dead game with fun mechanics and a great aesthetic / setting.

Street Fighter X Tekken
    I'm aware it's not exactly a great game in itself, and also traditionally that I've avoided fighting games; but my friend got me all fangirly over Poison because there's no trans* characters in gaming done as well, outside of some JRPGs that I have NO intent on playing. I'm actually at the point of planning a game around a trans* protagonist that -isn't- also just an artsy bullsh*t game

All my X-Brick Games
    I can't call it the Xbox 1 because stupid next-gen Microsoft, but I brought my old Xbox up here. Trying to get another controller and bring it to our weekly "play games and get drunk in the bar" deal and get games of Halo 1 and 2, 007 Nightfire, Mechassault, Jet Set Radio Future, Amped 2 and Burnout 3: Takedown.
  11. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

007 nightfire was definitely an underrated game. Real people with Real taste in Games like it. I respect you more for mentioning it. I am obligated to leave this lying around this thread nao.

Geers likes this.
  12. kvalheim

kvalheim Post Master General

I brought my old Xbox up here over christmas and saw it in CEX for like 50p. Remembered playing it on my cousin's gamecube when I was a babbeh and had to buy it ;_;
  13. Geers

That was is an AWESOME game!
  14. chronosoul

chronosoul Well-Known Member

Loadout is dead?
  15. Geers

PeggleFrank likes this.
  16. poiuasd

poiuasd Well-Known Member

Well aside from sitting in ranked queue for longer than the actual match lasts your only option is to play in casual lobbies that usually turn into co-op PvE against the worst AI that I've seen in a while. Then top it off with poor management from the dev team and you get one dead game, at least in my books.
  17. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

OMG up top!
    phantomtom likes this.
  18. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

I play these at least once every few years to refresh my memory about what kept me so hooked:
    - Ultima Underworld 1 & 2
    - Nethack / Angband / Moria / etc ; Number of different classic roguelikes that I like to play from time to time
    - Everquest 1 (Not really dead, but not a hugely active MMO any more) ; now that it's free to play, I'll usually hop in for a weekend or two a year to mess around and see what's changed
    - Star Control 2 - every few years at least
    - Diablo 2 - Also not truly dead, but with D3 out (and now really enjoyable since they implemented the RoS changes), seeing fewer and fewer people in it when I go back
    - Borderlands 1 (Again, not sure it qualifies as dead, but still love it ; still engages me more than BL2)
    - Bard's Tale 1 - 3 ; Rarely finish them, but will hop in and play around with a brand new party every few years
    tatsujb likes this.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

Diablo II saaaame. necomancer <3
  20. Devak

Devak Post Master General

borderlands, ah borderlands. countless hours of coop fun ! :D

Been a while, but :

*black and white
    *Black and white 2
    *Populous 3
    * Age of Empires