Trolls using name change, deleteing commanders.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by energydl, September 13, 2013.

1. energydl

energydl New Member

A user named Nothinglessness (forums.uberent.com/members/nothinglessness.1925150/)
    Has been joining games, pretending to be members of peoples clan, then joins in and deletes everyone's commanders.

Hes been told to not do so several games in a row, it's gotten to the point where can't play the game because he just deletes the commanders, we've tried remaking numerous times.
    There needs to be a ban function from the game lobby.
    zombiefan564 and lokthar like this.
  2. shotogun

shotogun Member

Was in one of the games and can confirm that a troll is deleting commanders though I can't say who exactly is doing it.
  3. josephstabile

josephstabile New Member

I was on energyDL team when this happened. We make the game and he acts stupid in chat in the pre game lobby. He then wont leave the game even though everyone asks him to stop and leave. Then once in game (more than once) he self destructs all the commanders so the team is annihilated.

There needs to be some sort of ban feature so he can't join that lobby again, or a kick feature. This way when people start pestering, they can be dealt with.
  4. zombiefan564

zombiefan564 Member

I can also confirm this, the other teams commanders were just blowing up.
  5. josephstabile

josephstabile New Member

his name is nothinglessness.
  6. lokthar

lokthar New Member

Yeah, it's kind of a pain in the butt when it happens constantly. Definitely need a way to eliminate known griefers from the lobby.
  7. Grounders10

Grounders10 Member

known griefers should be able to be banned from playing Team games. Entirely
  8. drewsuser

drewsuser Active Member

Funny, because I beat him once. He got got what he deserved. Hehehe
  9. Nothinglessness

Nothinglessness Member

Holy! You got to meet Nothinglessness! That guy is pretty cool!
    thebigpill likes this.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Currently you can see the login-name of people in the list of games. Using that you can check who a person really is. When I am home again in 3 hours I'll see if I can make a mod that shows the loginname of player directly in the lobby. So renaming won't help trolls anymore. But it might be not possible, or will be broken in coming patches. I am not quite sure if Uber wants to reveal the login name of players at all. Imho it would be a good thing to always show some kind of unique ID for players in one way or another to prevent such problems.
    infuscoletum likes this.
  11. garat

garat Cat Herder Uber Alumni

Well, that's one tactic, I suppose. Not necessarily a good one, but certainly a choice.
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

it has been said a whole lot that you must play with friends when playing team armies, you are exposing yourself to this behavior if you don't.
    lokiCML likes this.
  13. garat

As Tat said, but also: we're working hard on getting a lot of features in, and we'll be starting on a number of social tools as well: private games, kick privileges for the host, /ignore style lists that prevent undesirable people from ever getting into your game.

The best way to solve this problem is to give the community the tools to police the people that they don't like themselves. An ignored troll tends to go away.

For now, only play with those you trust. If certain people keep joining your lobbies, reconvene in a new lobby. I will, however, see how soon we can at least get either password protect or kick privileges in for lobby hosts. Might take a bit - we're still very focused on alpha features, but if it's easy to implement, I think it's worth taking a bit of time for us to get it in sooner than later.
  14. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

To be fair, most of the time, when people join a 'pre-made' lobby, and people ask them to leave to make room for the indended slot incumbent, they've been fairly good about it.

This seems to be the exception, rather than the rule :)
    garat and liquius like this.
  15. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Yeah most people are pretty decent.
    Hmm, seems to be impossible to get a unique player id in the lobby already. Guess we have to wait till Uber tackles this kind of problem.
  16. garat

I am, however, pleased to hear that for the most part it's not a problem. But I'd like to make sure that people have a way to minimize any impact from undesirable players.
  17. tatsujb

18. Tontow

Tontow Active Member

Just add: <player name> self-destructed a commander!!
    Then all that will be needed is a ban hammer.
  19. tatsujb

that's like the most primal and conterproductive solution.
  20. smallcpu

smallcpu Active Member

Sure, and your solution of doing nothing will achieve a good community by magic. :confused:

A good community like FA can happen with very niche games, a couple of thousand players at most. With PA we're talking about tenthousands of people often just lured in by PR or other reports on the internet and not grizzled veterans of an old game.