Travels between planets can be so long

Discussion in 'Balance Discussions' started by theiban, March 2, 2015.

1. theiban

theiban Member

I think the travels between planets, when the orbits are big, are too long. It is so difficult to send a coordinated invasion or attack to farther planets and to wait for the arrivals can be so bored. Couldnt the ships have a kind of acceleration to make it faster? Or we should have a wormhole fabricator to teleport other points in the space with the ships.
  2. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Travel times between planets are just right. It should take a long time.
  3. s03g

s03g Member

I agree with @Planktum on this 1, however it's down to the person who made the system for making it like they chose to. I then agree with @theiban that if said orbits are too big to then be able to build an orbital teleporter so in a way it will still take time to reach said planet\s but it will take a lot less time for the reinforcements to arrive.

I'll also link this as this might be of interest to: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/teleporter-suggestion.68161/
    theiban likes this.
  4. theiban

theiban Member

I agree too, travels must take some time, but if they are so long the experience can be so bored. I´ve got dreamed during some battles for waiting the arrivals. If ships should have a kind of acceleration to make it shorter, especially in long travels, I think it would be better experience in maps with bigger orbits.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I advise people to not build systems with multiple planetary orbits all the time. It just takes way too long to go around the sun.
  6. nateious

nateious Active Member

I dunno, I kind of like it. It means if you are paying attention to what is going on in the system, you have time to react. For example, I like how you can knock out engines on a planet moving towards you to stop it, but that was sped up, even if you had the capability to do it, you might not have time to launch nukes or unit cannons or whatever.

Same thing with incoming invasions, maybe you see a huge number of fighters coming in, it gives you a moment to try to get yours into a blob, If they are all spread out they'll get picked off one by one.
  7. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Part of the reason Halleys were given a speed boost was due to the absolutely terrible celestial pathfinding. Units have serious trouble getting to a moving planet - including nukes. It's just weird. So it was easier to make that time less significant instead of fixing the problem.
  8. nateious

nateious Active Member

Do they still have issues getting away from a planet that gets smashed?

I remember one game a while back where my team and another had pretty much stalemated each other (this was before the unit cannon) both teams then went for hallyes, we beat the other team but our planet was a larger radius than the other planet so the game didn't let us target their planet (I don't know if this is still true) so as their planet was coming in we evaced all our orbital stuff to the gas giant (their commander was also being evac) we nuked the spot their com landed in (back when you could nuke gas giants) and had our fighters landing there as well, but when our planet disappeared all our units that were en-route and the nuke as well stopped moving and got stuck in the sun.