Tournaments

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Polynomial, March 19, 2013.

1. Polynomial

Polynomial Moderator Alumni

Unlike SMNC (thank you) Planetary Annihilation only requires 2 people to play a game. This could significantly increase the chances of a tournament scene here on the forums (or ideally beyond that) of succeeding. Anyone have any creative ideas?

Admittedly, I'm still a little "eh" on the e-sports scene so I'm not as well informed as I imagine a lot of the people here are. My thoughts though is I see no reason why we couldn't get events going during the beta though.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Planetary Annihilation Forum Tournaments Brainstorming
  2. nanolathe

nanolathe Post Master General

Would perhaps be interesting. By tournament scene you mean competitive games... but are they for prestige within the community only, or would sponsored prizes make an appearance?

Honestly even the forerunner in the E-Sports field when it comes to RTS, the Holy-Grail of Starcraft, was not designed (originally) as an E-Sport. At the moment, from what Neutrino has said, they've lain the groundwork for E-Sport acceptance... replays, 10-20 second flash-backs, Play-by-Play unit death, spectators, broadcasters, etc.

We just have to see if the sponsors pick up on it being worthwhile sponsoring individuals / teams.
    Last edited: March 19, 2013
  3. Polynomial

This really is making something out of nothing at the moment. Uber quite frankly doesn't have the manpower to both develop and support community events but the benefits of having people play the game competitively are undeniable for long term viability. Another problem is PA is looking to be very old school. So the avenues to creating incentives via in game stuff like skins and Uber Credit might not be there.

We could probably run 8 man nonprofit PayPal tournaments (unsure of the legalities of that lol) since I've definitely had success with running Mumble over PayPal but I don't know if people are interested in micro entry fees (like $2) to put towards a pot. That's just an idea.
  4. nanolathe

I'd be interested. :p

Old-school or not, there is the possibility of micro-transaction style enhancements, but it's just more tricky than "skins" to pull in the punters.

Probably something to be discussed closer to launch and we know what kind of beast PA is to play
  5. Gruenerapfel

Gruenerapfel Member

Tournaments defently will be cool and could help new players learn the game or make other people know it. regular tournermants without prices would be enough in my opinion, but u could make them as qualifier for bigger tournaments with fees and prices(maybe giving winner of qualifier free entry!).
  6. Polynomial

Handling the logistics is easy but it might fall under PayPal's whole gambling clause thing. Would need to find a way to make it plausible. I know Starcraft 2 communities has done this in the past and I doubt Uber wold have issues with nonprofit tournaments. PayPal is my only variable there.

It wouldn't be flashy, but to just get something functionally going with brackets is easily done via Google Docs. I can make things very visible on the forums. (events, winners, replays)
  7. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

I believe small, forum based tournaments can be fast done.
    But the bigger ones have all huge support (for example arranging it) from the developers to push them into e-sport (see Riot or Blizzard). Although this game deserves more if it just becomes half as awesome as I imagine it to be.
  8. Polynomial

Initial scope would probably be sign up, 8 man, 3 round, single elim.

If I could involve PayPal we could probably ask for $1.50, pay back 4-3-2-2.
  9. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

I helped out with the original SMNC tournament. Even though I'm not too interested in comp PA, I'd be glad to help out by making pretty little banners & brackets for the forum thread.

Also when the time comes, check with uber about the idea of a unique cosmetic commander being given as a sort of participation trophy.
  10. Polynomial

Thanks Knickles. I'm going to give it a shot, but planning early helps.

PA actually might be viable due to the 1v1 nature of RTS's. Even 2v2 is easier than 5v5. I just want to keep the initial scope very low to maximize the chances of success. I think we could fill 8 man forum tournaments. The key will be finding a reward beyond just forum recognition.
  11. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

Doesn't sound too bad. But it depends on the interest of the participants (size if the tournament, Paypal yes or no). Then we could try out new formats like 2 on 2 and so on.
    With a lot of players interest we could establish a small league system.
    OK. Now I have to stop me here. I tend to think bigger than needed some times. :p

Like you said, initial 8 man sounds fine. I'll guess: comes first, first serve? :D
    *raising hand *first** :lol:

Sounds great!
    I organized some intern poker tournaments (and a small league) in my clan some years ago.
    I know that every help is much appreciated
  12. nanolathe

Beat you to it 7 posts ago :p
  13. sylvesterink

sylvesterink Active Member

Also, there are plenty of websites to ease the process (Rather than making a JPG of the brackets like a recent SMNC tourney ;-) )
    http://www.tourney.cc/
  14. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

Our match is settled. :twisted:

:D

Any more ideas here? I could invest some time in the next days and come up with some ideas if people are interested. I love managing stuff like that ;)

Cool, I never knew of this site.
  15. knickles

knickles Well-Known Member

Finding participants was never a problem for the first SMNC tourny. A couple teams were even turned away for signing up too late. The two biggest dilemmas were scheduling conflicts and drama induced from a player creating an FoV hack. I doubt the latter will be an issue, and I'm sure the 1v1 format will definitely help with the first.

That said, I still highly recommend splitting into two separate tournaments for NA and EU timezones. It makes scheduling so so much easier, and you can still do a final match between the winners.

We knew about these sites. It was just more fun to check the forums for info. Aside from the drama it sparked, it really didn't turn out half bad :/ viewtopic.php?f=2&t=24335
  16. nanolathe

As a limey, I thank you for the proposed separate US/EU matches.
  17. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

I guess we can make seperate and mixed tournaments. (mixed more like just for fun with special rules or stuff like that).

Edit: But there is also a timezone problem. So it's a pretty good idea.
  18. Polynomial

This is a good point I didn't think of. Might need an EU organizer. I'm in an IT/project management Master degree track iRL so this sort of virtual management appeals to me when its in the context of PA. =P

I think having seen SMNC's issues we can get something going with PA. I'm positive its going to be a more popular game than SMNC ever was because of the Annihilation hook and Kicktstarter PR.

PA should also be more competitive by nature. Since you know, RTS's generally don't have crits heh. Less variables.
  19. nanolathe

Don't say such things! You'll give them ideas!
  20. megrubergusta

megrubergusta New Member

I'm one semester away from my bachelor Business Informatics degree, continuing with the master. This partly includes IT/project management. And I like it. Probaply that's why I like the idea of organizing community tournaments.

I wasn't that into the game that's why I don't know them. I only can guess: team size?

Some idea for the mytery box? jk :lol: