Tournament Possibilities for New-comers to the BETA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wpmarshall, September 28, 2013.

?

What sort of 1v1 tournament(s) would you be interested in?

Poll closed October 5, 2013.
  1. New Comer's Only

21.9%
  2. Alpha Veterans Only

3.1%
  3. New Comers and Veteran (Separate)

43.8%
  4. New Comers and Veterans (Combined)

50.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

Hi folks,

Oxide has given me the opportunity to host a tournament using his system. I am posting this here to see who of the new-comers to Planetary Annihilation would be interested in participating.
    It would be a very casual affair, gentlemen's rules applying with regard to wall building and other bug exploits etc.

Depending on the feedback and interest (or lack thereof) regarding this competition, I may open it up to those who are 'Veterans' of the Alpha. I already have a system which is a pretty good 1v1 system.

The tournament itself would be a 1v1. Most likely occurring the weekend of the 5th of October.
    I will probably post a Poll also to see what interest there is;
    1. New-Comers Only Tournament
    2. Veterans Only Tournament
    3. New Comers & Veterans Tournament'S' (consecutively)
    4. New Comers & Veterans Tournament (All in one)

Any takers?

---WPMarshall
    oxide246 likes this.
  2. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

Definitely option three. Will be fun to see players of different skill levels take the approaches they do.
  3. voodoomaster

voodoomaster Member

4. judicatorofgenocide

judicatorofgenocide Active Member

I would say slap everyone into one tourney, who s to say guys getting in beta can't kick the crap outta some alpha guys. How much more interesting would it be to see the under dog take down the alpha giant. To bad I'm working that weekend or id love to play. My weekends free up mid october and beyond I believe.
  5. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

I think newcomers should be allowed to join the vet tournament if they want, but some people may want a more fun, casual environment for their first tournament games.
  6. wpmarshall

Precisely why I gave the option for separate and/or combined :) We shall see :p
  7. superouman

superouman Post Master General

I think a combined tournament is a better option. It allows some new players to directly face already experienced people. This way, they can improve a little bit faster.
    There may be already good players in other RTS games who joined the beta, it would be a shame to not let them play against experienced players.

It would be a good source of tournaments upsets :D
  8. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

The beta is quite different anyway. I don't think you need seperate tourneys
    archcommander likes this.
  9. cybersunder

cybersunder Member

Not that dissimilar. A lot of concepts have carried over.
  10. wpmarshall

I'll give it some thought over this weekend and combining that with the results of the poll I'll decide on a format for the tournament. I'll likely have one combined first and then possibly a couple of separate ones afterwards depending on the running and outcome of this one.
    Thanks for the feedback folks!
  11. downburst

downburst New Member

I would love to participate, but am probably going to be camping that weekend.
  12. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

Count me in ^^
  13. faregoth

faregoth New Member

Question: If you were in the alpha, but you suco could you join the new comers tourney if you have one.
  14. neptunio

neptunio Active Member

Well I don't overly mind since I can't play that weekend anyway :(
  15. oxide246

oxide246 Active Member

Also guys I'd just like to let you all know that anyone may use my website to hold tournaments, even private ones with your friends. Any tournament with 8 or more players will count for points. If you plan on being a regular tournament player, this mod might interest you: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-pa-tournaments.50777/