[Tournament] Official PACE League - Commander of March - 15th March

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Martenus, March 5, 2014.

1. Martenus

Martenus Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

All information about the tournament can be found at the official document:
    Commander of March

Sign-up shortcut:
    Enter the tournament

The tournament is open for everyone, no matter your skill or experience. The Swiss Style tournament addresses the issue with skill differentiation, you will get always matched with a player close to your skill. Even if you are a newcomer, don't hesitate to sign up. The tournament is a great fun!

Still in doubt? Read these
    10 reasons why you should attend the tournament.
    1. You will get valuable experience.
    You will play many 1 vs 1 matches matched against similar skill players, you will get valuable strategic experience, that will make you much better in future. Don't worry about losing, in lost game you learn much more compared to those you win. Just don't forget to review the game!
    2. You will meet with top players, casters and even developers.
    There is many people attending the tournament that you have heard of. Players who currently dominate the 1v1 ladder will be in the tournament and you might get a chance to talk to them on Teamspeak or chat with them. You will also meet great casters such as ZaphodX, WPMarshall, OathAlliance or BrianPurkiss. Last but not least, you can bet that some developers will show up for the tournament, just like last time!
    3. Your games will get on Youtube.
    There is a big chance, that your game will be casted live on Twitch and later appear on Youtube. It is your chance to be on the spotlight!
    4. You will help to test the game.
    This is why developers are interested in our tournaments. It is many matches in a short time and on competitive level. Developers of PA want to make sure that the game is balanced on such level, otherwise there would be no chance for PA to become a classy eSport.
    5. You will get to know new people.
    If you are talkative enough on IRC or Teamspeak, you will get to know many new players and possibly get to know couple clan leaders. This is your good chance to get new friends or get a new clan. Clan members often attend the tournaments, many of them, so there is many to choose from!
    6. You can win a cash prize.
    Just like last tournament it is very unpredictable, who will dominate the rankings! It can be you, who will shine, will win a lot and with a bit of luck end on 2nd or 3rd rank. First three ranks take cash prize!
    7. You can start your PA career.
    Ever dreamt of casual players recognizing your name? People saying "Oh this is him, let's join his game!" If this is what you want, start building your name now. Climb the ladder and get famous!

8. Fight your way to the invitational tournament.
    If you happen to end reach a score goal (differs depending on number of rounds) in the tournament, you will automatically make it to the official PACE invitational tournament to face the best of the best players of Planetary Annihilation in the world!
    9. You have a good excuse not to do anything else.
    Looking for a good excuse why not to attend (insert an event you definatelly not want to attend)? "Hey, I am in this super important tournament and I can win some money, I need to stay home!" There you go, stay home and enjoy your daily dose of Planetary Annihilation!
    10. You will have a good time.
    We all do this for fun. Organizers, players and casters. We wouldn't be doing this if it wasn't fun to do. Come and share the fun times with us, I guarantee you will have a good time. And if you come, you will make all of us who prepare the event happy.

What are you waiting for?!
    Sign-up right now, right here.

We are looking forward to you.
    Last edited: March 6, 2014
    mishtakashi, Clopse, shootall and 6 others like this.
  2. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I will sign up! Finally, I have time for a tourname... Wait, that's the weekend i'm not here. GAH!
  3. jonathanstey

jonathanstey Member

I'm thinking of signing up. I love to play tournaments but I am so bad at PA that I probably won't even last 1 round and that means less fun :(
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

5. Martenus

The tournament is Swiss Style.
    You do not get eliminated.
    You play the full duration, all 8 matches.
    Plus, you mostly get matched to people of similar skill as of yours. So the more newcomers come, the better fight you will among yourselfs!
    Definatelly don't be scared to sign up, I will be a valuable experience for you and I bet you will become much better after all these matches.
    If you have time and wanna attend, then go for it.
    drz1 and Quitch like this.
  6. Martenus

Almost 10 days left, sh*****t. I can'ť wait already!
  7. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I'm pretty sure it's a non-elimination style tournament. Which means that you can keep playing, even if you keep losing. So still fun!
  8. Martenus

Yep, the fun never ends. You have 8 rounds to get some wins! I believe there will be noone who will lose all of them. Everyone will get his "YES" at least once, but you have to work for it!
  9. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

I will be here, or there rather.
    Murcanic likes this.
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I wont be able to make it this time - ill be coming back from Spring Break.

No matter. I'm in the invitational ;)
    Murcanic likes this.
  11. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I'm totally in, going to see about improving my position.

Based on some of the confusion I saw in IRC last time I recommend the document outline the following:

1. What the Teamspeak channel exists for
    2. Whether Teamspeak is mandatory
    3. The format whereby casters choose a game, this is announced, games are hosted and the round is kicked off.
    4. What a Swiss style tournament is
    5. How tie break scores are created

Number 3 needs to be made especially clear.
    Last edited: March 5, 2014
    cwarner7264 and cptconundrum like this.
  12. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

13. superouman

superouman Post Master General

Yes, PA Esport is all about watching it with a monocle and a top hat while drinking a glass of fine wine.
    matizpl, cptconundrum and cola_colin like this.
  14. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

It's non-elimination. The first round can be a little brutal because the top half seeds are matched against the lower half seeds, but you get more and more accurately matched in terms of skill every round. We had all skill levels in the last tournament. As the OP says, it's a great way to meet people and improve your game. Plus, the nice thing about non-elimination is you've always got something to aim for on the scoreboard, people to beat, a previous ranking to improve upon, etc.

It'd be worth getting some PA Stats 1v1 auto-matched games in ahead of signing up so that your initial seeding is more accurate.

Your "lesson learned" from Martinus Mayhem was you needed to play more. Will you be participating instead of casting this time? :)
  15. LavaSnake

LavaSnake Post Master General

16. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

17. Choromakolo

Choromakolo Member

Choro back in action, lets do this
  18. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

I really enjoyed casting, so I will probably stick with that if they need casters. Otherwise, I will happily watch casts of the tournament.
    spicyquesidilla and zweistein000 like this.
  19. OathAlliance

OathAlliance Well-Known Member

We need every caster. It was also a blast having you there Sorian.
  20. neutrino

neutrino low mass particle Uber Employee

I will be on the road to GDC while this is happening.