Tournament mode

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by egu, September 16, 2012.

1. egu

egu New Member

2. KNight

KNight Post Master General

So.....what are you actually suggestion here? SCII Doesn't have any kind of tournament mode, it's just a series of 1v1 skirmishes being run by the event staff based on a set of per-defined rules in the interest of fairness.

And lets face it, nothing but starcraft will be as famous as starcraft for E-sports. So long as Uber gets a good balance going you will see online tournaments and such but the chances of it getting to the point of Starcraft are ridiculously small.

Mike
  3. sstagg1

sstagg1 Member

[​IMG]

(Egu's hopes and dreams)

Sure, it'd be nice to have actual tournament meets, but realistically, that's only possible with a proven game and a company with the connections to get it done and publicized and support from announcers and large gaming communities.

With everything Uber is planning, I could see a need for a fairly extensive online community system, instead of just the match list system used before. Starcraft may be a good model to look at for inspiration.
  4. KNight

Oh certainly, I'm sure Uber has big plans for the community interface, with all the different options and such that they have planned they would be foolish to ignore it.

Mike
  5. lynchbread

lynchbread New Member

While the chances are still slim, PA has a much greater chance to become an e-sport than SupCom, main reason is PA will be playable on very weak hardware while SupCom is barely playable today resulting in more people playing the game/ internet cafes picking up the game. The next reason is they are removing some of the ridiculous things that just added to the unnecessary complexity of the game that kept some players away from SupCom such as adjacency bonuses. Also there is room for another e-sport RTS in the form of team based gameplay which it seems PA is all about while StarCraft is more of the 1v1 RTS. Just my thoughts, but personally I'd rather the game have a large dedicated community based around fun rather than a community based around competition.
  6. lirpakkaa

lirpakkaa New Member

Thing is, competition is fun.
  7. menchfrest

menchfrest Active Member

Not if competition results in your face getting beat in every time... You do want the people who don't win much to stick around. And yes, I know you don't have to win to have fun, but competition is not the only thing that is fun.
  8. KNight

But having a competitive focus doesn't preclude fun, if anything a strong competitive balance is good for everyone playing the game. It's not like Uber won't implement Custom Games in favor of a ladder... >.>

Frankly Player hosted games are a lot riskier to join in terms of being face rolled compared to playing on the ladder, where the idea is to match you up with players of similar skill. It's just getting past the hump of placement and learning how to effectively play the game.

Whut? What kind of hardware are you using that still have issues with SupCom: FA? I got a new system last year and it plays SupCom Better than ever.

Mike
  9. lynchbread

lynchbread New Member

[quote/]
    Whut? What kind of hardware are you using that still have issues with SupCom: FA? I got a new system last year and it plays SupCom Better than ever.

Mike[/quote]

I can run it fine FPS wise, it's just it still slows down on the large maps with lots of units when it comes to processing power because SupCom doesn't take advantage of my quad core.
  10. KNight

How many AIs and what kind? Also what map size and how many units? Also Also How long until the slowdown is noticeable?

Mike
    Last edited: September 16, 2012
  11. thapear

thapear Member

It sounds like you're playing against AIs, AIs slow down the game a lot. I haven't had problems with slowdown with my new system when playing against players.
  12. egu

egu New Member

Sorry for not replaying earlier was at the event ;)

I was talking about "Observer mode" in SC2 in that mode one can see the whole game and ever individual gamers view. How a tournament in PA will look like is today quite unknown. It could be 1v1 or two teams going at each other. It could also be many vs many. The trick is what you can do in the observer mode to view the action for the crowd.

/EgU
  13. Yourtime

Yourtime Member

lol the picture is perfect :D

actually I know we will have some kind of clan features.
  14. gleming

gleming New Member

I just hope that while they do look to SC2 as a modern competitive RTS that they also look at its failures on release. SC2 had notable issues, especially with its community and social experience which I hope will not be a problem with PA.
  15. lirpakkaa

lirpakkaa New Member

Being able to spectate games is a pretty standard feature in RTS's today.
  16. KNight

Being able to spectate games is a pretty standard feature in RTS's today.[/quote]
    I'd go as far to say is pretty standard in most games with online features. And replays are more or less standard fare for RTSes, though there was some concern in their application with PA due to it's asynchronous nature but last we heard Uber was looking into it.

Mike