Total Annihilation is super cheap for a few days

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by cwarner7264, July 31, 2015.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

cdrkf, Nicb1, stuart98 and 1 other person like this.
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

well you can't go wrong with $4.20 savings
    stuart98, cwarner7264 and xankar like this.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

4. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

I recommend buying it and also to try all 3 major mods Mayhem, ESC and Zero.
  5. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Pah! XTA ftw! :p
  6. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

Did you even try those mods?
  7. cdrkf

To be honest if I want to play TA mods I play on the Spring engine these days, although I'm a TA die hard (I play TA based mods on spring) so if it has a different unit set (e.g. TA Zero) then I'm not all that interested. Also many mods do things like 'tech annihilation' and add loads of stuff 'cause its cool' and turn the game into a tech race. I was a competitive TA player on line back when TA first came out, I like the close quarters 1 v 1 'knife' style battles and most of the mods that expand on the original negate that in favor of big macro battles.

Anyway I wasn't being all that serious, I just rather enjoy XTA for it's heavy commander focused game play (played it on TA and later on Spring).
    MrTBSC likes this.
  8. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

Actually Zero is more like a knife style battle. Its not about big macro battles. No offense but you actually never tried Zero... if you did you would know that.
  9. cdrkf

You left out the bit 'TA Die Hard'. Zero doesn't use the TA unit set... It isn't TA but a different game. The lack of TA unit set is why I don't get on with Zero K, ergo I won't like Zero either.

Edit, @tashadan are you a dev on TA Zero? You seem to be promoting it hard and to be honest I'm not anti it anyway. All I would say is I think anyone who gets TA should play the *original game* as it has huge character and a great deal of subtlety and is worth playing in its own right.
  10. stuart98

He's not a dev I don't believe, just someone who plays it to the exclusion of everything else annihilation.
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

True, but how can you judge something you did not even try?

No i am not the developer but i love Zero. If people would give it a chance and try it at least i guarantee that most of them would like it too. Try it.... if you do not like it => fine... if you like it join us on Gameranger

PS: Why do you play PA if you do not like games without TA unit set?
    Last edited: August 2, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. stuart98

TA Zero is awesome FYI. New faction, different D-Guns for Core and Kadesh, new units with personality, great effects, and the little arm marines. So cute. :D

Seriously, try it out if you haven't already.
    Nicb1 and cdrkf like this.
  13. cdrkf

My stubborn mind set I guess... I mean I'm used to playing different unit sets when playing games that aren't ta... However I played more ta than any other game I've ever played and never any mods (besides the community tools like demo recorder) up until the point I moved to spring.

I'll have to give zero a go though, I'll even join you for a few games, although my condition would be you guys give me a game on classic :)
  14. tashadan

tashadan Active Member

Ok. Here you will find all the links you will need: http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44715

Fair enough, i will play OTA with you. Will not be much fun for you though i guess. I hardly play OTA.
  15. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

is there a vanillaballancemod? (that ads NO new stuff but just ballances the existing stuff) ...
  16. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

If I remember correctly I think there was a mod called the uberbalance mod that did that. Although my memory is fuzzy because I looked at it so long ago.

Edit:
    Ah my mistake think the name is actually uberhack
  17. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

This thread is about TA, not PA ;)
  18. stuart98

http://www.tauniverse.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43692

That mod is good because it doesn't change units mechanics at all (with one exception), just balances the stats, unlike the plethora of mods that remove the "anything can attack anything" mechanic that is such an important part of TA.
    cdrkf likes this.
  19. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Dammit cola y u so fast to reply XD
  20. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

probably the reason i stopped playing FA ... it sooo felt like being all about techracing ..
    build factory - spam mantis - tech up - spam rhinos - tech up - spam bricks ... yet ultimately you did the same ... ... -_- ... and don´t get me started on air ... especialy with cybran ... 4 gunshiptypes? ... REALY?

then i learned about TA: ESC ... i just thought "OH PLEASE GOD WHYYY???"

while it sure is a big feature of the game ... i still consider it more a gimmick than important ...
    if anything is important about it than it´s the physicssystem ...
    Last edited: August 15, 2015
    cdrkf and stuart98 like this.